• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking Chickens

Started by gfs, May 20, 2012, 04:31:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gfs

Hi
I have a Bradleys digital smoker and so far have had fantastic results with it. But I want to smoke 6 chickens in it for a friends barbecue party. I am ok with marinades, brines, rubs etc. But a little unsure on how long 6 chickens will take to cook and how much of that time to smoke. Appreciate any tips or advice.

Cheers
GFS

Kahunas

We like light smoke so we go with 2 hours, others go with 4. Depends on how much you like. Smoke the same amount you would one chicken. Now as far as cook time it will probably increase. Never tried 6 chickens before but I notice slightly longer times when I load more meat. I also modified mine with a 900w element so the cabinet gets to temperature easily full or not.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mikecorn.1

The smoke time will be the same. IMHO. The total cook time will obviously be longer due to the larger load. Hard to say  :-X. I also have never done 6 at one time.
Mike

KyNola

Poultry is a smoke sponge.  It takes smoke very well.  With 6 chickens in a Bradley it is necessary for you to keep the vent 100% open.  Chickens give off a LOT of moisture and you want that moisture to escape the tower as soon as possible.  If it remains in the tower, two things can occur.  1. The moisture in the tower will hold your cooking temp down and 2. moisture trapped in the tower can begin to condensate on the ceiling of the tower and drip a nasty foul  tasting black rain down on to your chickens.  It can also run down the door of your Bradley and drop on to whatever your Bradley is sitting on.(Don't ask me how I know that last one :o).

If you have trouble maintaining your cooking temp (I'm thinking 250+)you can always smoke them in the Bradley and then transfer them to your house oven to complete the cooking process.  Remember, after smoking, the Bradley is nothing more than an Easy Bake oven being powered by the equivalent of 5 100 watt lightbulbs. Low temps + moist environment  = good opportunity for food poisoning.  I'm not trying to scare you but you don't want to  make your family and friends ill.

Kahunas

OOh yea, black rain. Forgot about that. It sucks
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.