• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

ABT rookie questions

Started by kfin, May 28, 2012, 08:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kfin

I am going to make some abt's for the first time this afternoon. Recipe is cream cheese, shredded cheddar and cooked chorizo...wrapped in bacon of course.

Questions are about time, temp and the need to flip them...I will be cooking a pork loin and smoking at the time at 225. I think that temp will be good. Plan on smoking them for about an hour and then leaving in until the bacon is crispy.

How long will it take to crisp up the bacon? 2 hours total??

Is there a need to flip the abt's to crisp the bacon? The peppers are cut in half lengthwise and I would think all the stuff would run out if I flip them. What do you say? Will the bacon crisp all around just sitting in there?

Thanks,
Keith

KyNola

No need to flip.  Your filling will drip out and cause a big mess.

devo

Funny thing about hot cream cheese, it likes to run, who would have thought it would do that. Should be on the package someplace dont ya think  :o :o :o   ;D

mikecorn.1

I don't flip mine. Whether I make them in the SRG or traeger. I also cut mine in half length wise and wrap with bacon.

Just to give u an idea of how mine come out. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Habanero Smoker

If you are cooking them whole, jalapeno racks work well.

Jalapeno Rack
Try to get ones that are at least 3/4" diameter holes.

I now do what Mike does and halve my peppers. I may wrap a few with bacon, but mainly I will mince cooked meat and mix into the cream cheese with other seasonings; such as left over pulled pork, and add seasoning. As the ABT's cook I will add different toppings such as more cheese, crushed pineapple, minced sun dried tomatoes in oil. The toppings are endless.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

devo

Hab if you ever make it up to northern Ontario look me up, you always have a different twist on the smoke, BBQ ways. Would love to spend a afternoon with you and learn the many things you have cooked.

mikecorn.1

By the way, Ive only smoked abts one time. I find they come out better in the SRG and Traeger when I blast them with high heat  ;D :o.  Takes no where near 2 hours to crisp up the bacon.  ;)
Mike

kfin

As usual, you guys were right. I have to get better at the picture part of this deal....promise. But we had 5 racks of baby backs, a pork loin,smoked bake beans and ABTs......all was delicious.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: kfin on May 28, 2012, 06:25:01 PM
As usual, you guys were right. I have to get better at the picture part of this deal....promise. But we had 5 racks of baby backs, a pork loin,smoked bake beans and ABTs......all was delicious.
Oh boy!! All that sure does loo....  ; I mean sound good. ;D ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: devo on May 28, 2012, 01:41:42 PM
Hab if you ever make it up to northern Ontario look me up, you always have a different twist on the smoke, BBQ ways. Would love to spend a afternoon with you and learn the many things you have cooked.

If I travel near your area, I definitely will. From the photos you posts, the country looks beautiful.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)