Shelf safe meat

Started by viper125, June 09, 2012, 10:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper125

Now i've made some jerky and sticks that would last a short while outside of the fridge. But Im curious. Any one know any meat recipes the dont require a drying cabinet  to make a meat product thats shelf safe.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Up In Smoke

This is one thread i will be watching. other than canning i don't know of any.
Great question!
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Tenpoint5

Viper if you add ECA (Encapsulated Citric Acid) to your Sticks and Summer Sausage. Not only do you get that old fashioned Tang in the product. The ECA makes the product shelf stable. Nepas turned me onto the LEM brand which comes like this.

I called LEM and asked "How long will it be shelf stable?" Their reply was up to 6 months when vacuum sealed. Hope that answers your question.

I haven't noticed any difference in the drying time
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: viper125 on June 09, 2012, 10:33:24 AM
Now i've made some jerky and sticks that would last a short while outside of the fridge. But Im curious. Any one know any meat recipes the dont require a drying cabinet  to make a meat product thats shelf safe.

How long are you wanting shelf stable/un re fridgerated?

Keymaster

Heres a 15 minute reading tutorial on salt percentages needed, Nitrites/nitrates , aw, moisture content and proper Ph levels needed to make meats shelf stable.

Quarlow

If you make it taste real good you won't need shelf stablility. Just sayin'.  ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

viper125

Tenpoint Thanks I have been using it. And I heard it would but never knew how long.
Quarlow I do make excellent meat! I know because they tell me after I go to get some and its gone?????
Key master. I don't really want the extra salt but a good read.
NePaSmoKer I really don't worry about shelf life often. But have been asked and really didn't know the answer. Other then the old way of salting and completely drying. Grand pa did this and it keep good. But to salty and way to hard. LOL I also figured It would make good Camping and fishing etc snacks. But as usual safety first.
I read where it would keep it, but couldn't find how long or under what conditions. Is that 6 months from made? Or 6 months after freezer or both?
Inside setup.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: viper125 on June 10, 2012, 11:22:48 AM
  Is that 6 months from made? Or 6 months after freezer or both?

I didn't ask that question. However 1-877-536-7763 is the number ;D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

viper125

Thanks Ten point I'll call tomorrow and post.
Inside setup.