• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Meat Thermometers

Started by Jakesnake, June 20, 2012, 08:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jakesnake

Hi there, pretty new to all this but I did my first meal on the Bradley last weekend.  It was fantastic, but noticed the temp control is hard to deal with (don't have the digital).  I've purchased the PID to remedy this, but I wanted your expertise on which meat thermometer works best?  I know Bradley makes one, but it had bad marks on Amazon.

I would appreciate any feedback and Thank you!

TedEbear

I think you'll find the overwhelming majority will say the Maverick ET-732.  Excellent range and very accurate.  The only problem some of have had is moisture getting into the probe between where the wire crimps onto the metal probe body.  With the water bowl in the Bradley there is some high humidity in the chamber and that works its way into the probe.

Some high temp food safe RTV can seal this area and eliminate the problem.

If you want an instant read thermometer the Thermopen is highly recommended on here.  Just don't get into a discussion of which color is the fastest.   ;D

squirtthecat

Ditto.

I have a couple Thermapens for spot checking temps, but that Maverick is the cat's pajamas.  I ordered an extra meat probe for mine.

mikecorn.1

Ditto on the above 2 posts. There are other spot check and constant thermometers that you can get that also work well. If you do get the thermapen, get the Black in color, it is the fastest available.  ;D ;)
Mike

4given

I use the Maverick with Hi temp permatex (the red stuff) to seal out moisture at the wire - probe junction!  :)
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

Jakesnake

Where do I get the permatex?  and how do you seal the probe?  Can i ask someone to send me a photo?

Thanks!!

mikecorn.1

Auto parts store. Like auto zone. It's cheaper at Walmart.
Just put it all around where the wire and the probes meet up to make a seal. Make sure to overlap the probe some. I don't have a pic of mine. Maybe someone
Can post it. I'm on my way home from work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Jakesnake

Thanks for the info, if someone can send me a pick of the probes I would appreciate it, but I think I can probably figure out...

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Jakesnake on June 21, 2012, 03:51:15 PM
Thanks for the info, if someone can send me a pick of the probes I would appreciate it, but I think I can probably figure out...

I use my quite a lot. Never had any problems yet. You can apply it then wet your fingers and shape it. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Marko723

Thanks for the heads up on the RVT.  My Maverick just arrived.   I'll make sure to have the probes sealed before my next smoke.

Mark

Jakesnake

Thanks all,

Just ordered the Maverick, I will pick up the Permatex and seal the probes when it comes.  I really appreciate the quick responses and pics.

4given

Quote from: Jakesnake on June 22, 2012, 10:15:09 AM
Thanks all,

Just ordered the Maverick, I will pick up the Permatex and seal the probes when it comes.  I really appreciate the quick responses and pics.

They guys here are great and very willing and quick to help. They only ask one thing of you in return....................................

PICTURES OF YOUR FIRST SMOKE!!!!
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

Jakesnake

will do.  Can't send my first smoke because my family inhaled the 3 slabs of St. Louis ribs that I smoked.  Will send some pictures soon.