Rib Temp

Started by bwmoffit, June 17, 2012, 01:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwmoffit

What is the suggested internal temp for pork ribs?  I some how think it might be 160f

mikecorn.1

The IT OF ribs is when they're done. The meat will have pulled/crawled up the bone. :)
Like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Habanero Smoker

If you want to take the internal temperature, for spare ribs you are looking for 185 - 190°F, back ribs I can't say, since I don't cook them nor have a taste for them. You are not going to get an accurate reading using a probe. The easiest way is to use an instant read thermometer; using tongs, stand the ribs on its end so that the exposed bone end is up, and stick a probe down into the meat, in between the bones. If you are using rib racks, your ribs will already be standing up.

I don't take the internal temperature. I go by time, and a couple of tests. The first test is the toothpick test; which I actually use a bamboo skewer and probe the ribs. When the skewer can be inserted easily and removed without resistance, they are at the point where I like them. Another test is the bend test. This is where you pick the ribs up at one end using tongs. The ribs should no longer be stiff, and should bend. As they bend, you should see the meat crack in places. Many use the visual clue of the meat pulled back from the bone, by 3/4 to 1". I find that not to be reliable with spare ribs. There are times I have very little pull back, until the meat is cooked so long that it is falling off the bone. If you like them that way then that may work for you.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)