• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking in the rain

Started by Gregg, March 07, 2006, 10:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg

I'm considering a purchase of a Bradley and was wondering, since I've been known to smoke in the rain, would this create issues with the Bradley.  I'm thinking electrical problem perhaps?  Also thinking that the biscuits would get soaked, swell up and either jam the generator or not ignite.

Chez Bubba

Gregg,

I smoke rain, snow or shine.(Assuming it's not a monsoon, blizzard or tornado![:D]) But, I do make sure the generator is protected by the eave. The smoker  box getting wet hasn't proved to be a problem in over 5 years.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

tsquared

Hey Chez--good to see you are still around. I was wonderin.
T2

icerat4

Seems to me if ya dont close the vent your smoked food will turn into wet food.Mine is in the shed no worries on this topic.[:D]

iceman

A couple of pieces of plywood and some scrap 2X4 material to make a small roof over the smoker seems like an easy fix to this problem.[:D]

manxman

I smoke under a car port when the weather is bad but my BS quite frequently gets some rain on it when it is windy and this has not been a problem, I would keep it out of direct (heavy) rain but both Chez and iceman give sound advice, there is always an easy workaround to keep direct rain off it.

Manxman.
Manxman

bubbagump

Rain or shine I would be sure to have your BS plugged into a GFCI receptacle.

Bubbagump

Phone Guy

My suggestion to prolong the life of the smoker and yours as well I would protect it from the rain some how. A plastic tarp tacked to the eves or something. IMHO

iceman

Always a GFCI no matter what! All it takes is one spill of the water pan at the wrong time and zappo! It's not a pleasant experience (Trust me on this one).[xx(]<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bubbagump</i>
<br />Rain or shine I would be sure to have your BS plugged into a GFCI receptacle.

Bubbagump
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Arcs_n_Sparks

Hey, what's a little arcin' & sparkin' among friends??[:D]

Seriously, GFI is your friend. By code, any contemporary house with external outlets will have those outlets on a GFI circuit. If you are using extension cords from interior outlets, that is risky.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tsquared</i>
<br />Hey Chez--good to see you are still around. I was wonderin.
T2
I'm still around, just not for hours, or for that matter, every day. Tis the busy season at the real job, plus we're putting in a new press and have a few substantial new clients. Life is good....but I'm tired!

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Habanero Smoker

When I am in a hurry, I usually use a light tarp, thrown over a 2"x3" wood frame. If I have a long smoke and I know rain is in the forecast I use my E-Z Up shelter. They are the self standing canopies you often see at outdoor events. I got mine at Sam's Club a few years back, and Sam's usually starts displaying them this time of year. When I bought mine I got four free side walls. The side walls are easy to set up and protect the BS from wind and wind driven rain.

They now sell Bungalows, that are meant to be set up for long periods of time on your deck or patio. I may just get one of the hexagon models. http://www.bungalowbyezup.com/

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Those EZ ups sure are nice HS. I just saw them putting out the display this week at Sams like you said. The price is up by 50 bucks this year though. Dang oil prices anyhow![}:)]<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />When I am in a hurry, I usually use a light tarp, thrown over a 2"x3" wood frame. If I have a long smoke and I know rain is in the forecast I use my E-Z Up shelter. They are the self standing canopies you often see at outdoor events. I got mine at Sam's Club a few years back, and Sam's usually starts displaying them this time of year. When I bought mine I got four free side walls. The side walls are easy to set up and protect the BS from wind and wind driven rain.

They now sell Bungalows, that are meant to be set up for long periods of time on your deck or patio. I may just get one of the hexagon models. http://www.bungalowbyezup.com/

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by arcs_n_sparks</i>
<br />By code, any contemporary house with external outlets will have those outlets on a GFI circuit.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
To expand on Arcs comments a little, the first requirement for GFCI protection on outdoor receptacles in residences was back in the 1971 edition of the National Electrical Code (U.S.). Since that time the NEC has continued to expand the requirements for GFCI protection in residential dwellings to other parts of the home, which is a good thing.

One of the biggest problems with GFCI breakers and receptacles over the years has been nuisance tripping. Early on, in attempt to solve the problem, some individuals who did not understand or believe in GFCI protection replaced their GFCI breakers or receptacles with standard devices. In some cases this resulted in tragedy.

Fortunately over the years the reliability of GFCI protection has gotten better. UL (Underwriters Laboratory) further addressed the issue of nuisance tripping in 2003 by requiring design changes by manufactures to help limit it.

But the one issue that had never been addressed is the fail-safe mode of GFCI receptacles. In other words, if the GFCI circuitry fails in a GFCI receptacle, the receptacle will still provide power. I have actually found this happen on two occasions. Once at my own home and once at my in-laws. When pushing the test button nothing happened, but the receptacle still provided power. I then used a GFCI tester and found the receptacles had lost their GFCI protection but were still providing power. So what you end up with is a false sense of security. Regularly testing a GFCI is important, but in reality not many people do. When using by BS I normally test my GFCI before plugging it in.

The good news is that as of June of this year UL is requiring all manufactures of GFCI devices to design them so that if the GFCI circuitry fails, or the device is wired wrong, it will not provide power. Right now the only the only manufacture that provides this fail-safe off mode is Leviton, and no I do not work for Leviton. I know they addressed the fail-safe issue back in 2003 when manufactures were required to make the other changes to design.

So as I posted earlier, rain or shine, be sure to have your BS plugged into a GFCI protected circuit and test it often.

Bubbagump