• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Rubbery Chicken Sausage

Started by JZ, September 10, 2012, 09:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

A while ago I posted about some of my Thai chicken sausage being rubbery after freezing and thought it might be because I was using "enhanced" chicken breasts.

I have found the culprit and thought I would share so others can learn from my mistake. It turns out that the sausage tastes just like the day I made it if I thaw it out in the fridge. However if I use the Microwave to speed up the thawing process the sausage turns rubbery and not worth eating.

Another lesson learned. ;D

cobra6223

THANK GOD you figured it out !!! I was thinking maybe you forgot to take the silicone implants out of those enhanced breasts !!!!  LOL... ok it's a bad joke but what do you expect from a guy at midnight after working 8 1/2 hours?

3rensho

A microwave will do the same thing to a slice of day old dry bread.  It comes out nice and moist but is pretty tough.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Kevin A

Quote from: JZ on September 10, 2012, 09:00:15 PM
However if I use the Microwave to speed up the thawing process the sausage turns rubbery and not worth eating.
Well that WOULD certainly explain the heretofore mysterious rubberiness... ;)

JZ

Now I am starting to think maybe the links that were rubbery came from one of those chickens Kevin posted. ::)

rjohns39

Hi there.  I'm the new guy, just joined the forum today.  Though i've got a fairly decent background in smoking, i'm brand new at sausage making.  And I have a problem.

I just finished up a 10 pound batch of beef snack sticks last night.  Ran them for 2 hours at 150 degrees with smoke, then at 220 degrees for about another two hours until they hit 158 degrees internal temp.  some came out perfect, while others have excess moisture under the skin and or fat on the outside of the skin.  Only issue here is the skin, the sausage turned out perfect.  But the skins are rubbery.

How do I fix the problem.  I'm assuming I'm going to need to pierce the skin and cook it for a bit longer to get the fat out and dry out the skins—but don't want to dry out what's inside the skins.  I'm a novice so please provide any help you can.  Thanks in advance

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: rjohns39 on September 24, 2012, 12:39:35 PM
Hi there.  I'm the new guy, just joined the forum today.  Though i've got a fairly decent background in smoking, i'm brand new at sausage making.  And I have a problem.

I just finished up a 10 pound batch of beef snack sticks last night.  Ran them for 2 hours at 150 degrees with smoke, then at 220 degrees for about another two hours until they hit 158 degrees internal temp.  some came out perfect, while others have excess moisture under the skin and or fat on the outside of the skin.  Only issue here is the skin, the sausage turned out perfect.  But the skins are rubbery.

How do I fix the problem.  I'm assuming I'm going to need to pierce the skin and cook it for a bit longer to get the fat out and dry out the skins—but don't want to dry out what's inside the skins.  I'm a novice so please provide any help you can.  Thanks in advance

Start at 130 ramping in 10* increments every 1.5-2 hours with a final temp of 170-175.
220* is way to high, your just cooking the sausage.