• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Thermocouple question

Started by MRH, March 09, 2006, 07:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MRH

I see from some posts that you guys have suggested using a TC from Omega versus the 5 dollar one from Auberin. Is it worth the extra money to get the one from Omega? And what exactly is the difference in them making such a price difference?  I am thinking about doing this to my Bradley just wanting to be informed before making the plunge.

Thanks,
Mark

gary_CO

Wish I could help you out there, MRH.

I bought an Auberin TC and will use it as a backup. I have not ever hooked it up. I read the same comments you obviously did, here and on some other sites. Nowhere has anybody said the Auberin doesn't work well. But it is constructed like some other lo-end TCs that have been problematic. But I'm assuming you've read those comments...

One look at the difference in construction and it'll explain some of the cost difference. The Omega is much more heavy-duty in appearance. The Auberin looks like like one you'd see on a $20 digital thermometer unit.

I'd hook up my Auberin one so I could compare it to the Omega but I have my setup configured like Bubbagumps, so I have one of the Omega mini jacks. The Auberin TC comes with crimped-on blade connectors.

If I was doing it over I would have ordered a mini-plug (the male side) just for my spare Auberin TC. It would be simpler than having to remove the mini-male-plug that came preinstalled on the Omega and transfering it. Hopefully I will never need the Auberin (spare) TC. But for 5 bucks, I thought it was a decent investment.

If you haven't read the comments scattered around here about some of the lo-end TCs, I'd suggested searching on "PID", "controller", and/or "coldfusion".

nodak

I hooked up the Aubrin TC while waiting for my Omega to arrive and it jumped around on current temp.  My Omega doesn't jump around and therefore holds temp with less variance.  Buy the Omega it's worth the money and yes it is much more heavyduty in it's construction.  I also questioned spending the money, but I am glad I took Bubbagumps advice and ordered rightaway.  Junk in Junk out.  Also if you are in cold temps smoking consider buying the extension cord for the TC so you can sit your PID inside as it's minimum operating temp of 32F.  

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

MRH

Sounds like I should make the plunge and order one from Omega. What should I get? I was looking at their site and am not sure what I should get other then a k type.  Grounded or ungrounded, probe length, Probe style, diameter, sheath, overbraid etc.  I will order the PID from Auberin and the 10 amp ssr too. Then get some kind of box, a cord, switch and outlet, am I missing anything?

Thanks again,
Mark

nodak

Check out this link:  http://bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2968&whichpage=1

I took bubbagumps advice and ordered:

Thermocouple - Omega #TJ72-CASS-316U-3-SB-SMPW-M
Mini Panel Jack - Omega #RMJ-K-R

Like I said I ordered the extension cord also and and extra male for my spare TC from Aubrin.

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

gary_CO

Check out this ordering aid on Omega's site:
http://www.omega.com/config/probeconfig.html

I played around with it until I came up with the same Part # that bubbagump had spec'd in the same thread Nodak mentions.

Here's my choices:
- transition joint, rugged junction
- calibration = K
- sheath = stainless steel
- probe length = 3
- probe diameter = .1875
- junction = ungrounded
- wire length = 72" (to reach from smoke generator up to the smoker tower then down inside).
- overbraid option = stainless steel
- termination = SMPWM

Think about the wire length. It will depend on where you plan on placing the pid unit (smoke generator, top of tower, inside, etc.).

Also, as bubbagump mentions somewhere (I think in the link Nodak mentioned), if you use mini-jacks you'll need to cut off a stub of wire to run from the mini-jack to the actual PID controller. This is to prevent inaccuracy caused by using a different type of wiring.