• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Rotating Racks

Started by bubbagump, March 10, 2006, 08:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubbagump

I'm planning on do two large Boston Butts this weekend and was wondering how often you recommend rotating the racks.

Thanks,

Bubbagump

Smudge

I'm planning much the same, putting them in around noon and anticipating them to be done mid-morning tomorrow. I hate opening the door. To me anything more than four hours would seem excessive, and it's done in conjunction with tending to the water.

So I plan to smoke for four hours and then open it up. Maybe four hours later, or before I go to bed, but I'm not planning on getting up in the middle of the night.

This will be my first attempt--yes, a virgin getting the pork put in for the first time (?)--so maybe someone else may have more insight.

------------------------
~Tomorrow I've decided to be more spontaneous~

icerat4

Well if your not planning on getting up then have the lil lady fill the water because every 4 hours that pan has no water in it and then you get a nasty burn off smoke from the smoldering pucks.Gota ask how many pounds are these butts seem about 7 pounds per 4 hours .maybe i am wrong but if i was doing something that would take that long id be up at the crack of dawn and at dinner its ready.None of this over night smoking for this rat.Plus most the stuff i smoke and the pounds that i smoke is about a 4-5 hour hot smoke then its done.BUTT happy overnight smoke for ya hope it comes out great give us an update on this when done.[:D]

Smudge

Where would the burnt smoke taste come from? I'm not smoking at that point while I'm sleeping, merely slow cooking.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no expert on this. If necessary I'll get up and tend to whatever it needs, but other than running out of water I don't see the need. I'm planning on 190-205 degrees throughout.

------------------------

Smudge

To clarify--I'm planning on running the BS at 190-205. I'll shoot for 180 internal on the butts.

------------------------

nodak

I too am doing my first overnight smoke this weekend but with my new PID.  I bought some disposable Aluminum foil cake pans to replace the water pan with to give me more water, so I don't have to worry.  This also helps cleanup if they get bad just throw them away.  I have smoked/cooked for 11 hours without running out of water.  This advice came from someone else here and it works great, so I thought I would pas it along.  GOOD LUCK!

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

icerat4

Sorry didnt know what time you were starting this in the evening.How many pounds is it.How many hours of smoke are you planning.Sorry about the confusion on my part.[;)]

Smudge

I was going to smoke two 8 pounders, but after talking to my wife decided to do just one. What if we don't like it, she asked. So...I'm going to smoke for 4 hours and then do the low and slow deal. Put some bacon on the top shelf, rubbed the pork. I'm going to FTC for the first time(an FTC virgin) and then vacuum seal it for a meal next weekend.

------------------------

IKnowWood

The good rule of thumb is 2 hours a pound.  Especially at those temps.  Make sure to get them up to or as close as your comfortable to room temperature.  That reduces the time.  At 8 pounds, that is 16 hours. the 16 pounds, 32 hours.  

And every 4 hours is OK.  If smoking for 4 hours and replace the water and contents.  Right before bed refresh the water and it should be good till you get up.  

Good luck.

IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

owrstrich

i rotate racks but never really paid attention to times and temps...

yesterday i smoked 1 4lb slab and 1 5lb slab of pig ribbs...

they were all the up to 50 degrees when in loaded them into the bs... the 4lber on bottom and the 5lber next to bottom...

smoked without opening door or rotating till bottom slab reached 190 internal at 205 bs... i was surprised to find the next to bottom slab was at 173 internal...  it took 4 more hours for it to reach 190 and it was the only thing in the bs...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Smudge

The eight pounder took 14 hours to reach 180. The BS fought with a pretty good south wind all day, temp briefly reaching 50. I placed it in the southwest corner under the eave because of the chance of rain, the only place that afforded me that necessity. It was up to the task, quickly recovering when I had to open it up.

Were going to have sandwiches tomorrow night.

------------------------

ChefBill

I think I've solved the rotating the racks problem forever. I just don't have to anymore now that I installed a fan to circulate the air within the BS. Many thanks to "Olds" for his R&D on this project, it works great.[:D]

ChefBill
If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it

shortimer

Quote<i>Originally posted by ChefBill</i>
<br />I think I've solved the rotating the racks problem forever. I just don't have to anymore now that I installed a fan to circulate the air within the BS. Many thanks to "Olds" for his R&D on this project, it works great.[:D]

I wonder if anyone at Bradley thought to include a fan in the new digital models.

Larry

Somewhere there is a village missing an idiot!