• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Summer Sausage???

Started by cajunboudreaux, July 17, 2012, 09:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cajunboudreaux

So i have done summer sausage a few times now. a few days ago i smoked some with japaleno and cheddar. 1 1/2" fab cashings smoked to IT of 154. My question is HOW do i get the sausage to keep the sleek look other than getting all wrinkled up? It turned out great and i took pics that i will post in a bit but i was just hoping i could keep the casing smooth somehow....
The process i used was
Grind , Stuff , Fridge overnight,sat till room temp, smoke ramping to 170 for about 4-5 hours until IT 152-154,ice bath,hung for a bit then back into fridge.. Taste was perfect, i know the casing is coming off anyways but i would like a nicer presentation...

Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Laissez les bon temps rouler

Tenpoint5

Drop the fridge time after stuffing. I would also try to stuff the casing a little tighter/fuller pack the meat in there real good. Also give the summer a nice almost salami type mouth feel. I would also drop the fridge time after the Ice bath. Ice bath and then hang to bloom and come to room temp. Then put in the fridge over night or until vac sealing.

Another option is to wait until the smoke is done and the sausage is about 135º IT and finish in hot water bath up to 152º then the ice bath and bloom thing.

Just some thought and different options that I have used
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

cajunboudreaux

Thankyou sir.. i searched around quite a bit before posting as well. Thankyou for the input.
Laissez les bon temps rouler

OU812

After the ice bath, dip the sausage in boiling water.

That will remove any fat on the casing and allow it to shrink to the size of the now cooked sausage

watchdog56

I am with 10.5 on the part of doing the smoke then put in hot water bath of 160 and get IT to 152-155. Then put in ice bath. Casings come out real smooth.

pikeman_95

Like tenpoint said after a strong smoke finish in a hot water bath at 160 and bring you IT up to 152-155 then into a cold water bath then hang to bloom. Here is some of the process that I use.
This is the hot water bath.

then the cold water bath

then on the counter to bloom. I need to make a hanging place but some times I have a lot of sausage to deal with. Notice all the casings are full and tight.
Kirby

pmmpete

Possibly the reason your summer sausage looks wrinkled is because 4-5 hours at 170 degrees was hot enough to melt the fat on the outside of the sausages.  An advantage of the poaching method of producing a high enough internal temperature to make the sausages safe is that you can keep the water bath at 160 degrees, which shouldn't melt the fat in the sausages.