Refrigerate or not

Started by SNIPERS215, July 12, 2012, 03:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SNIPERS215

I have a quick question for you guys.
My brother says you don't HAVE to refrigerate jerky after cooking it. He says he leaves his out all the time.
I said that you should refrigerate after cooking.
Is he correct that it doersn't matter that much?

Thanks.
YOUR BIGGEST ADVERSARY... HIDES IN THE MIRROR

Up In Smoke

I have seen members here that have a jar with holes in the lid sitting on the counter.
which is what i use because jerky doesn't last very long around here.
but i do use cure in all of my jerky.
If i make a large batch i will vac seal it and freeze it.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

KyNola

I don't refrig mine.  If it is properly cured and dried I don't see a need for it unless you are going to leave it out for months on end.  Besides, when jerky was originally used as an actual food source there was no refrigeration and the meat was just thrown out on a hot rock to dry in the sun.

FLBentRider

It really depends on how dry you like it.

If there is enough moisture left, it will get moldy, cure or not.

It does take a couple of weeks to get there, though.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

mrmcdowe

I freeze and vacuum seal what I am not eating at the time and Mason jar or Ziplock what I am working on.  I also don't use cure ALL the time.  I do though use it more then I have in the past.

Consooger

I do not refrigerate mine either. If I make a lot I will vac seal it and put it in the bottom drawer in a big zip lock bag, but normally it doesn't last long. Whatever me or my family will work on stays in a flip top jar that I bought at Wal Mart. I do use cure in mine and I dehydrate as well.
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife