Venison Brats..

Started by Sam3, July 02, 2012, 03:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam3

My good friend gave me 26 lbs of ground venison last week, awfully nice of him. He asked me if I could make some Venison Brats for him. Sure!  ;D

I had my eyes set on a recipe but then soon discovered I didn't have the soy concentrate. So I went with this one.

4 lb pork butt
1 lb venison
2/3 cup water

2 Tbs sea salt
3 tsp white pepper
2 tsp marjoram, dry
1 tsp caraway seed
2 tsp thyme
1 tsp coriander seed
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp turmeric

Mixed and going to rest overnight.

Out the next morning. I gave this a gentle mix again after the pic.

Crisco on the "O" ring and stuff tube.

Packed in nicely.

Wa Laa!

Stuffed into 29-32mm hog casings.

The tumeric is a strong spice and I initually thought it was going to be too dominant with this mix. But it mellowed out overnight and my wife thought it had a good flavor.  Now I just need to make that other batch so I have something to compare it too.

Oh.....being everything was out and I was making a mess again. I made another 7.5 lbs of Sweet Italian .  ;D

Thanks for looking.  :)

NePaSmoKer

Freaking awesome looking V-Brats there Sam.

Sam3

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on July 02, 2012, 04:02:56 AM
Freaking awesome looking V-Brats there Sam.

Thanks Rick. I was gonna inbox you with a question regarding the soy concentrate, but stumbled across this recipe and just went with it.
Ordering the soy concentrate today. And some more 29-32mm hog casing.

mikecorn.1

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

OU812

Tenpoint5

Them is some perty perty Bambi Brats Sam
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

rajzer

Very nice.  The turmeric is definately breaking tradition, but at the same time when you look the other basic brat spices, it just might complement them.  Sure would like to have a sample!

ragweed

I don't post often on this site but I just had to tell you how great your recipe was received by my family.  I made 10 lbs the other day substituting 93% GB for the venison.  I thought my old brat recipe was pretty good, but everyone said, "Forget the old one, only make this new one from now on".  Must be the tumeric.  Thanks again for posting!

Joe

Indy Smoker

I've used a box recipe with a spice blend.  Now I've gotta try this one.
Thanks for posting!!

Sam3

Quote from: ragweed on July 12, 2012, 08:00:48 PM
I don't post often on this site but I just had to tell you how great your recipe was received by my family.  I made 10 lbs the other day substituting 93% GB for the venison.  I thought my old brat recipe was pretty good, but everyone said, "Forget the old one, only make this new one from now on".  Must be the tumeric.  Thanks again for posting!

Joe

Very cool. Glad you enjoyed it.