• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

lost slider knob in move....BUZZZZ Normal ???

Started by Swim Dad, August 23, 2012, 04:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swim Dad

Lost my knob for the temp control in my recent move.  Gives a shock when I touch it.  Is that normal? Or is there something wrong with my circuit board.

My faceplate is an absolute mess at this point and I ordered a new one and knob from Y&P today, along with a few other goodies.

I talked to Brian a couple of years ago on the phone.  At that point he was not sure what was causing the faceplate issues.  Has there ever been a resolution to this problem?  I remember lots of theories.  (screw holes to small, heat, front feet, pig gremlins).  Want to make sure I don't screw it up in the installation.
OBS duel element, duel PID
Weber Genesis 1000 (very old)
Dog
Kids
Wife
(in that order)

TedEbear

You shouldn't get shocked when you touch the bare slider temp control arm.  My guess is that something worked its way loose during your move.  Look for any damage on the circuit board and verify that the wiring hasn't come loose.  If you have a multimeter, plug the tower into an outlet and see if you get any voltage reading between the bare metal slider arm and a neutral contact point.

As for the cracked faceplate, there is a fix for that.  Read this:  Front Feet Modification

Swim Dad

Thanks for the info.   I did a version of the foot mod a couple of years back, but used hardware store feet, because Customer Service sent me front feet not back when I ordered a new door under warranty.  I should have requested a new faceplate also, but the cracks were very minor at that time.  I order a couple from Y&P also. 

I am headed back up to the old house for a couple of weeks to get it ready to rent and will bring my multi-meter back and check it out.  I have the 2nd element mod, so maybe I did something wrong there.  Will pull the back off and run through the wiring again. 

Thank you again for the advise and will try and post pic of its new home when I get back.
OBS duel element, duel PID
Weber Genesis 1000 (very old)
Dog
Kids
Wife
(in that order)