• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

AC Leggs Bologna/Frankfurter Seasoning

Started by jleiwig, August 24, 2012, 07:07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jleiwig

So I have a question.  Does this taste more like Bologna or more like hot dogs?  Because to me they taste nothing like each other!  I bought some sheep casings to make natural hot dogs, but if this mix tastes like Bologna I don't want to use it for hot dogs!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: jleiwig on August 24, 2012, 07:07:31 AM
So I have a question.  Does this taste more like Bologna or more like hot dogs?  Because to me they taste nothing like each other!  I bought some sheep casings to make natural hot dogs, but if this mix tastes like Bologna I don't want to use it for hot dogs!

Taste like bologna to me also.

You could get more of a hot dog taste if you added some mace and or paprika.

jleiwig

I'll use it for bologna then.  I just ordered some of the red bologna casings when I ordered my 3/8" stuffer tube!  ;D

Kevin A

For the bologna, try a hand at making it without a mix:

BOLOGNA
makes 10 lbs -can be ring or large chub

5 LBS PORK SHOULDER
5 LBS LEAN GROUND BEEF
66g  Kosher Salt
85g  Non Fat Dry Milk
       (or 55g NFDM; 30g SoyProtein)- this is the combo I used
36g  Dextrose (optional)
12g  Cure#1
7.0g  White Pepper
6.0g  Paprika
4.5g  Nutmeg
3.0g  Garlic powder (or onion powder)
2.0g  Allspice
2.0g  Coriander
1-1/2 cups  Ice water

Soak Casing(s) in warm water.
Use a medium plate (4.5) to grind pork. Mix salt and cure together in 1/2cup warm water.
Mix this solution into meats until well-mixed. Let sit for an hour or so in fridge. Add remaining ingredients and grind again through fine plate (3.0). Stuff into casings. Air dry. Preheat smoker to 100 and hang bologna for an hour. Raise temp to 130 for another hour. Smoke time: 90 minutes-2hours. Raise temp to 160 and hold until IT of bologna reaches 155. Alternatively, poach chubs in hot bath @165 degrees until 155 IT is reached. Cool bologna in ice bath and hang to bloom. Refrigerate. Slice after well-chilling.

Have plenty of mustard on hand.

- Kevin

jleiwig

I do eventually plan on trying that recipe Kevin, but I have the mix, so I'll probably use it for the first go round.

Thanks!

Old Frenchie

Kevin ...

Thanks for posting the scratch recipe!  I recently made a "Hone-Ham & Cheese" roll (OU812's recipe) in a 2.5 inch casing and it turned out great. Sliced it on my electric slicer and turned out to be a great sandwich meat.

I've been wanting to try a Balogna ... now I have a recipe !!

Thanks again,
Roger
Original 4-Rack Bradley Electric Smoker
Brinkman Electric Smoker
Weston 3/4hp Grinder (575 watts)
Grizzly 5lb Vertical Stuffer
1st sausage made: April 2012

ratherbboating

So.... What is your favorite hot dog recipe (beef or pork or mix)?   I am looking for a home made one, hate to say it, would like for it taste like you buy at the super market.
Thanks
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

Kahunas

Quote from: ratherbboating on August 28, 2012, 03:40:12 PM
So.... What is your favorite hot dog recipe (beef or pork or mix)?   I am looking for a home made one, hate to say it, would like for it taste like you buy at the super market.
Thanks
Sorry but what would the point of that be? If you want them just like the market, just buy them. If you want them to be far superior, make them.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ratherbboating

I like hot dogs and would like to make some like you find at the store. 
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

Kevin A

Quote from: ratherbboating on August 29, 2012, 08:01:49 PM
I like hot dogs and would like to make some like you find at the store.
If indeed this is the target (or "Ballpark™), first start with mechanically separated turkey— a paste-like and batter-like poultry product produced by forcing bones, with attached edible tissue, through a sive or similar device under high pressure. Add Pork— any "meat"  taken off the bone by advanced meat recovery (AMM) machinery that separates the edibles from the inedibles without smashing the bone. 10% Water, Corn syrup, Salt, Potassium lactate, Sodium phosphates, Flavorings, Beef stock, Sodium diacetate, Sodium erythorbate, Maltodextrin, Sodium nitrate and Extractives of paprika.

Or one can use this recipe— which may provide significantly better results.... ;)

6 pounds lean beef -- (chuck)
4 pounds lean pork trimmings
1 pint ice water
4 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground celery seeds
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups non-fat dry milk
2 teaspoons Cure No. 1
6 tablespoons ground mustard
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 tablespoon mace**
8 tablespoons salt
4 tablespoons powdered dextrose

**If you wish, you may use 1 oz. coriander in place of the mace.

grind meat. add spices. Regrind or process to a fine emulsification. Stuff into 20-22mm sheep casing.
Smoke @ 140-170° for 3-4 hours. Finish in hot bath (165° temp) until internal temp hits 162°
Ice bath next. Then let dry & bloom; Grill or steam; bun 'em & pass the mustard!

Kevin