• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Favorite Mixes

Started by rcger, August 15, 2012, 09:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcger

So here's my question for the day.  Other than the wonderful homemade mixes you might use, what are your favorite premade mixes? 
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

3rensho

Many years ago I did try a few mixes but rapidly found that 1) they are usually way too salty and 2) you can do SO much better mixing your own.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Habanero Smoker

Penzy's Bratwurst sausage mix it very good, though it has a tad bit more salt then I would like, but it is far from being too salty. Everyone I have served this sausage to loves it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

rcger

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 15, 2012, 01:34:15 PM
Penzy's Bratwurst sausage mix it very good, though it has a tad bit more salt then I would like, but it is far from being too salty. Everyone I have served this sausage to loves it.

I have a Penzey's relatively close to my house.  I go there quite a bit.  I do like their products.
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

Habanero Smoker

I wish there was one closer to me. There is one about 60 miles north, and one about 90 miles south of me.

If you are looking for a good sausage mix, give that one a try.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

drunknimortal

I like the stuff from the sausage maker, I've tried 5 different mix's and they all taste good.

jleiwig

I've tried LEM which was way too salty.  Same with Hi Mountain.  Penzy's is amazingly good.  So far everything I've tried from A.C. Leggs was very good as well.  Columbia Spice sells it cheap and has a 15% discount code for August if you search around.  I'm getting ready to order some stuff from the sausage maker as well so we'll see how that is. 

While I like the idea of controlling what I put into it, sometimes it's just easier to use a mix than hunting down all the ingredients needed.

Old Frenchie

Do you make them with 100% pork or do you add some beef or toher meats?

I love Pensey's products and use them all the time for cooking but have to mail order from a store over 100 miles away ... but it is well worth it.

I'm adding the Bratwurst mix to my list for my next order.

Thanks,
Roger
Original 4-Rack Bradley Electric Smoker
Brinkman Electric Smoker
Weston 3/4hp Grinder (575 watts)
Grizzly 5lb Vertical Stuffer
1st sausage made: April 2012

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Old Frenchie on August 25, 2012, 04:22:09 PM

Do you make them with 100% pork or do you add some beef or toher meats?

I love Pensey's products and use them all the time for cooking but have to mail order from a store over 100 miles away ... but it is well worth it.

I'm adding the Bratwurst mix to my list for my next order.

Thanks,
Roger

You can make it with 100% pork and pork fat. For a five pound batch I use a modified  version of Michael Ruhlman's recipe

3 pounds trimmed pork shoulder,
1 pound of pork back fat (or use fat trimmings from the shoulder),
1 pound of veal,
5 Tbsp Penzey's Bratwurst Sausage Seasoning;
1 cup Soy Protien Concentrate (optional)
2 large eggs, cold
1 cup of cream, cold

I cube the meat, mix in the Penzey's seasoning, and let it chill in the refrigerator overnight. Grind through a 1/4" - 3/8" plate. Lightly beat eggs, then add the eggs and cream to meat. Mix until eggs and cream are fully incorporated, and the meat is sticky.

If you use the Soy Protein Concentrate, mix it into the grind meat prior to adding the eggs and cream. I find mixing in 1/3 cup at a time works better then dumping in the full cup at once. I only make fresh brats, and have made it both with and without the soy, and there is not much difference. If you are going to smoke them, then you would definitely use the soy, and of course cure #1.

If you don't want to use veal, you can used trimmed sirloin, or use 100% pork. I would like to make a 100% beef Bratwurst, but I haven't found the right recipe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

axman

i use mostly  Curley's Sausage Kitchen,
http://www.curleyssausagekitchen.com/
very mix i try has always  tasted great  (at least to me)
Curley a great guy, own his own butcher shop, work now as a FDA inspector, and this is a side line for him.  he always answers any question i had (email) in day.

Old Frenchie

Thanks Habanero ...

I have addded that recipe to my list ... I'll make it soon after I get a Pensey's order together.

Thanks again,
Roger
Original 4-Rack Bradley Electric Smoker
Brinkman Electric Smoker
Weston 3/4hp Grinder (575 watts)
Grizzly 5lb Vertical Stuffer
1st sausage made: April 2012