• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Bratwurst

Started by OU812, September 24, 2012, 07:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

The neighbor had a show hog butchered and wanted some sausages made, heres some Brats
Every thing ready

Course ground butt

Mixed in the seasonings and ran through the course plate again

Game on!

When I shoot them out I pinch and hold it were I want a link

Then after the whole casing is stuffed I do the twist

Always have some left in the stuffer, makes for some gooood brat patties

After dryin a bit  time to package

Done,,,,throw the sausages in the freezer to firm up a bit before you vac seal them

Now I gotta teach him how to cook the perfect brat, he just throws them on the grill tell they blow up then calls them done,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NOT

ExpatCanadian

Those look really great!  I've been looking at Wisconsin style brat recipes for a while now, trying to find the perfect version to try for my next batch.  Anything I've made to date has been more of a German or Swiss style, and not what I've been really after.  I realize now that what I want is more of a North American style Brat...  Len Poli has some recipes that look good.

Is this a personal recipe or one that's out there somewhere?

OU812

Quote from: ExpatCanadian on September 25, 2012, 08:20:31 AM
Those look really great!  I've been looking at Wisconsin style brat recipes for a while now, trying to find the perfect version to try for my next batch.  Anything I've made to date has been more of a German or Swiss style, and not what I've been really after.  I realize now that what I want is more of a North American style Brat...  Len Poli has some recipes that look good.

Is this a personal recipe or one that's out there somewhere?

Its a premade seasoning, I get them here local.

http://www.friscospices.com/p-195-bratwurst-seasoning.aspx

I divide the seasonings in half, by weight and add them to 12 lb ground pork along with 1 Tab fine ground black pepper

cobra6223

Very nice job Curt, tell me how to fix the perfect brat, Here's one way I like to do it for larger bathes, I fill an aluminum pan with beer rough chop a bunch of onions and then boil along side the grill, then I put them on the grill and when done but not blowed up, then I just put them back in the and onions and people take them out of the pan. See all those brats makes me sad and hungry as due to work and the recent eye troubles it seems like I never get any thing done any more.Take care young man !! Again very nice job.

ratherbboating

ExpatCanadian, I have made Len Poli brats several times and like them. http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=29130.msg346664#msg346664
Next time I make them, I will make sure the fat content is correct and not as lean as I have made them.

cobra, that sounds like a good idea, just one thing wrong.  They would not last long enough to go into the beer/onion mixture.  I do about the same thing, but on the stove top, beer (dark beer adds a different flavor, try it sometime), onions, salt and bell peppers.

The Wisconsin brats are my favorite (with chorizo a close second).
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

cobra6223

I use a high mountain kit that I really like and everyone else seems to also. Any suggestions on a brand of dark beer?