• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoke generator (sometimes) does not work

Started by TashonkaWitko, July 29, 2012, 07:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TashonkaWitko

Hi all

I have a quite new BS Digi 4 racks unit. Yesterday I've discovered a strange behaviour of my smoke generator. If I am right, every 20 minutes a new bisquette should be "taken" from stack and sent into the smoker, replacing old one.  But in my case, sometimes new bisquette is not processed. It happens in irregular manner - like - first bisq went OK, second, third OK, too ... but fourth not. I can hear only sound (like click) coming from stack (?), but there is no movement in bisq stack .. no new bisq is taken ... old ëxhausted" bisquette still remains on heater (it is able to produce smoke for some additional time and then stops - it means, there is no smoke at all .. untill next 20 minutes interval passes.

I was not able to find any rule, why and when it happens. There is no obstruction in stack, water bowl is empty (just water in it) ... everything seems  fine and working, but at once - no new bisquette... If I press WOOD>> button manually, replacement is done immediately, without any problem.

I am a little bit confused now :-)  What is a problem ?? Does anybody here have any idea ? Tip, trick .. thank you in advance

HOnza

P.S. Sorry for my English, but I am not a native speaker

devo

Try this

Q. Why do my bisquettes advance using the Advance Button, but are not properly advancing Automatically every 20 minutes?

A. Solution to the problem by Thunderfish (Terry); Clarification by Mike (Mr. Walleye)
First check the generator to make sure the movement of the shuttle, or the arm is not being obstructed by anything. If you don't clean your generator debris from the bisquettes can build up in the tracks and prevent the shuttle from fully advancing. Also wires inside the generator can block the movement of the arm that pushes the shuttle, so make sure it has a clear path.

This has worked for many members, but Bradley Tech. reports that the motor can run either way without problems. I have used this to correct the problem on a couple of occassions, and it has worked for me. Anyway, it is worth a try if all else has failed. For the automatic time cycle to operate properly the motor must run counter clockwise. There are times the manual advance cycle will come out of synchronization with the automatic timed cycle. This could be caused by a voltage drop or some other electrical interference while the generator is running. When this occurs the automatic timed cycle will run the motor clockwise. This prevents the switch and contacts from activating in the proper sequence, and prevents the bisquettes from advancing. Generally the motor will self correct, but there may be times when it requires an owner's intervention. (Also some have reported that when the motor runs clockwise the armature does not turn smoothly.)

To correct this problem, turn the generator on, and push the Advance Button to start the automatic timed cycle. This will start the automatic timed cycle at the beginning of its 20 minute cycle. This gives you the opportunity of not having to stand around. You can leave and return about 18 minutes later. In approximately 20 minutes the automatic timed cycle will begin to move the mechanism (you should hear it start to cycle) pull the plug on the generator while the mechanism is moving, then plug it back in. The motor should correct itself, begin turning counter clockwise the next time it cycles, and it should start advancing your bisquettes normally. Load two bisquettes; or if you have some Bubba Pucks load them instead to check if the generator is properly advancing the bisquettes.

Additional Information from the Bradley website:
This could be a defective timer unit, or the bisquettes are catching on the feeder tube. First make sure your feeder tube is pushed down, so that is is resting on the inner lip.

mikecorn.1

Ditto :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

TashonkaWitko

Devo - Thanks a lot for many useful information. I'll check my BS out next weekend.

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pbpete

This exact same problem showed up on my BSD this weekend. I'll give Devo's solution a go before my next smoke. Nothing worse than having to nurse-maid an automatic smoker every 20 minutes :-\

pbpete

I thought of trying Devo's solution, but because there is no movement, unplugging and re-plugging wouldn't work. I did a 3 hour smoke anyway, in which time the wood advancer worked only 2 times on it's own.
On Monday, I took the smoke generator back to my dealer and without hesitation was given a brand new replacement.
Thank you Bradley for standing strong behind your product, and thank you W.S Laurie Ltd, Beaumont st, Auckland for your excellent service.  ;D

Geoff_S

I had exactly the same problem and it is apparently well known.

It was the timer switch which was promptly supplied by Grakka here in the UK and quite simple to fit.

But beware, the switches are the same but there are a number of different connectors. I photographed mine and sent Grakka the picture.

Tenpoint5

Another really simple thing to try. Is check and make sure your tube is properly seated in the S/G. If it isn't there is a small lip, that the pucks get caught on and will prevent advancement.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!