• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Need Summer Sausage Recipe ...

Started by Old Frenchie, October 02, 2012, 01:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Frenchie

So far all the recipes I got here were GREAT !!! (Thanks to everyone who supplied them!)  :)

I'm now looking for a simple Summer Sausage recipe that I can smoke (Don't want to try dry curing yet).

I searched this site but didn't find one (I think my search skills suck !).  >:(

Can someone suggest a proven/tested recipe for me?

Thanks again!
Roger

Original 4-Rack Bradley Electric Smoker
Brinkman Electric Smoker
Weston 3/4hp Grinder (575 watts)
Grizzly 5lb Vertical Stuffer
1st sausage made: April 2012

Enid

I really like Pikeman_95 (Kirby) recipe. Here is a link. Scroll down to second post.

watchdog56

Got this recipe from someone on this site. I made 4 different batches with different amounts of seasoning, you can choose which one you like the best.

November 19 2011. Outside temp was 33. Ground venison using coarse plate and then through a 3/16 plate.
Then ground pork butts once using a coarse plate. Made 4 different batches. Smoked venison summer
sausage using oak. Stuffed sausage night before and put in frig overnight. Took out of frig and let get
to room temp. Preheated smoker to 160 for 1 hour then put turned down to 120 and put sausage in for
1 hour at 120. Then up to 150 for 2 hours using oak smoke. Then after smoke was done took out and put
in 160 hot water bath until IT hit 152. Pulled out and put in ice bath until temp got under 100. Took out
and wiped dry and let hang for a couple of hours then into frig.
Recipe A:  2 lb batch
1 # ground venison
1 # Ground pork
.80 oz or 22.68 gram of canning salt
.64 oz or 18.14 grams powdered dextrose
.10 oz or 2.84 grams ground black pepper
.04 oz or 1.13 grams ground coriander
.05 oz or 1.42 grams ground peppercorn
.46 oz or 13.04 grams mustard seed
.08 oz or 2.27 grams garlic powder
.21 grams of minced garlic ( add when adding spices and cure to meat)
.006 grams ground thyme ( just guessed on this amount because scale would not go that low)
.012 grams ground clove ( just guessed on this amount because scale would not go that low)
Add the following together;
2.27 grams cure#1
1/4 tsp liquid smoke
.64 oz distilled water
Taste was real good. texture was firm.

Recipe AA; 3 lb batch
2 # ground venison
1 # ground pork
1.20 oz or 34.02 gram of canning salt
.96 oz or 27.21 grams powdered dextrose
.15 oz or 4.26 grams ground black pepper
.06 oz or 1.70 grams ground coriander
.08 oz or 2.13 grams ground peppercorn
.69 oz or 19.56 grams mustard seed
.12 oz or 3.4 grams garlic powder
.32 grams of minced garlic ( add when adding spices and cure to meat)
.09 grams ground thyme ( just guessed on this amount because scale would not go that low)
.018 grams ground clove ( just guessed on this amount because scale would not go that low)
Add the following together;
3.4 grams cure#1
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
.96 oz distilled water
Taste was good also and texture was nice and moist. I think I am going to go with this recipe.

Recipe B; 2 lb batch
1 # ground venison
1 # ground pork
.08 oz or 2.27 grams ground black pepper
.64 oz or 18.14 grams canning salt
.16 oz or 4.54 grams powdered dextrose
.02 oz or .57 grams ground coriander
.02 oz or .57 grams ground ginger
.04 oz or 1.13 grams mustard seed
.02 oz or .57 grams garlic powder
Add cure and water together;
.08 oz or 2.27 grams of cure #1
.64 oz or 18.9 grams distilled water
Flavor was just ok nothing great. Texture was dry.

Recipe BB; 3 lb batch
2 # ground venison
1 # ground pork
.12 oz or 3.4 grams ground black pepper
.96 oz or 27.21 grams canning salt
.24 oz or 6.81 grams powdered dextrose
.03 oz or .85 grams ground coriander
.03 oz or .85 grams ground ginger
.06 oz or 1.70 grams mustard seed
.03 oz or .85 grams garlic powder
Add cure and water together;
.12 oz or 3.40 grams of cure #1
.96 oz or 28.4 grams distilled water
Flavor was a little better and texture was good but not as good as AA.

Made summer sausage recipe to make 100# of summer sausage;
Here is the version that we use. I have made some edits so this is the latest version.

Here is the SS recipe that we have worked up. My sausage making partner and myself bought the basic
recipe from a spice manufacturer that went out of business. We have modified it some to our taste.
We are about middle of the road on garlic so if you like lots of garlic you could add up to a 1/3 cup of
minced garlic for a 30# batch of sausage. Do not add garlic salt because the salt is where it needs to be
with out adding anything more. This is the recipe that we have made our large batches with. I would guess
we have done more then 2000# over the years. I know that the group that we make sausage with swear
buy it.
The recipe makes enough spice blend for 100# of Summer Sausage. You can cut the recipe in half or
1/4 and just use the calculated charge rate expressed in the formula. I work at a chemical plant so I treat
everything like a chemical concoction. Sorry! The nice thing about doing it this way you multiply the
pounds of meat that you have by 1.087 and this tells you how many ounces of the spice blend to add to
your meat.