• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

CBB Brine Help

Started by JZ, October 24, 2012, 10:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

I've had a pork loin in a dry brine cure for 5 1/2 days and took it out this morning dumped the brine and started soaking it in water. Then I noticed the meat was not firm except for one corner. Now I am thinking it did not get brined thoroughly. So right now it is sitting in the fridge.

Question is can I make another batch of dry cure and pat it onto the loin and place it back in the fridge for a few more days or is that going to introduce too much cure #1 into the meat. If so then I will hot smoke it.

rexster

Not sure of the answer, but the time I deviated from dry cure to a brine for my Canadian bacon I had the same results as you. I just went ahead and hot smoked mine, but it wasn't the same
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

JZ

Thanks Rexter, that is what I was concerned about and would therefore prefer to brine it again but want to make sure it is safe. I don't want to make anybody sick.  :P  So I will wait for an answer from those that know this stuff before I decide what direction to take.

Habanero Smoker

You don't want to brine it again. Sometimes the meat does not firm up. So treat it as fresh loin, and cook it at 200°F or higher. Even when I fully cure loins for Canadian bacon, I always will cook them at 200 - 225°F. After it has been cook, it should have a nice pink color all the way through. If there is any greyish/brownish color meat (usually in the center); it was not fully cured. It is still good to eat, but again treat is a fresh cooked pork.

If it didn't fully cure in that time, you should review the instructions to make sure you used the cure correctly. If your refrigerator is much colder then 40°F, or if the loin was located in a cold spot, that will slow down your curing time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JZ

Thanks Habs,

I will hot smoke it and now that you mention it I checked my fridge a few days ago and it was 33*. Great for beer but apparently not for curing. I adjusted the controls and will check again so this does not happen again.

Habanero Smoker

The 33°F temperature will definitely slow down the curing, and is almost at a point where the curing action will stop.

Good luck with your smoke/cook.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: JZ on October 24, 2012, 01:13:45 PM
Thanks Habs,

I will hot smoke it and now that you mention it I checked my fridge a few days ago and it was 33*. Great for beer but apparently not for curing. I adjusted the controls and will check again so this does not happen again.

JZ, standard fridge temp is 38-39F. (3 - 3.5C)
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

OU812

JZ; how did the CBB turn out?

JZ

Really good and thanks for asking.

The wife and I both like it better than the last batch but I think that was because of the change in spices and adding the maple syrup. Could have used a bit more smoke and I think that could have been improved by a lower smoke temp. Sorry no pics so I guess it didn't happen. ::)

OU812

Habanero Smoker

Glade to hear it turned out alright; but get turn refrigerator temperature up!  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

JZ

QuoteGlade to hear it turned out alright; but get turn refrigerator temperature up!  :)

Odd that you should mention that. I just finished checking the temp after turning the fridge up a couple of times and it is now at 38*.  Now I can prep some more CBB and some first time pastrami and some first time brined / smoked chops. Its all waiting for me right now so off I go to get the stuff together.

Habanero Smoker

Great to hear.

I picked up some pork tenderloins. They were on sale, but one get two free; which average about $2/lb. They are large for tenderloins, so I'm thinking of turning two of them into Canadian bacon.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

JZ

QuoteI picked up some pork tenderloins. They were on sale, but one get two free; which average about $2/lb. They are large for tenderloins, so I'm thinking of turning two of them into Canadian bacon.

The costco here has pork loins quite often and the price is always $2 /lb which amazes me, especially since it comes from the US. I just gave my daughter a couple lbs of the latest CBB batch and she really likes it. Got another 6 lbs started today plus some brined chops and a pastrami. Now I wait for a few days.