• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Corned Beef

Started by JZ, November 13, 2012, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

After a successful pastrami I figured I would have a go at some corned beef so here goes. First the meat, which is half of an outside round roast.

Then the brine, I used brown sugar instead of white thus the color. This smells great. Injected a 10% brine which was a lot.

Then into a container and pour the remaining brine over top of it. Then into the fridge for a few days. The recipe books I have say to fridge it for 3 to 4 days but I've seen posts by others that went for 10 days to 3 weeks. I think I will go 10 days.

In case someone notices the meat floating, I added a plate after the pic to hold the meat down. :)

SiFumar

ratherbboating

What are you brimming it with? 
Looks good.
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

JZ

I used this brine from Ruhlmans book :Charcuterie - The Craft of Salting, Smoking and Curing".

4 liters water
    450 grams kosher salt
    100 grams sugar
    25 grams pink salt (5 tsp)
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    2 tablespoons/20 grams Pickling Spice

I omitted the garlic and sub'd brown sugar for the white. I bought pickling spice instead of making my own because I did not have some of the ingredients.

Keymaster

Habanero Smoker

You don't have to brine it that long; especially if you are injecting. Five days should be all the time you need. When I see long brining times, I believe they are based on modified old recipes that used saltpeter to cure the meat, but were rewritten for cure #1. Sodium nitrite is a fast cure, and you really don't need those lengthy cure times.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JZ

Maybe I'll just go 5 days then for this first try. The good news would be that I get to eat it sooner. ;D

Caribou

Ooooo!
This is going to be good :)
You've got me wanting to make a beef pastrami, too.
Carolyn

JZ

QuoteYou've got me wanting to make a beef pastrami, too.
Carolyn

Is your elk pastrami already gone? :o

Caribou

The un-frozen part is!! ;D
I do have some in the freezer, I froze half of it.
But I have a couple smaller briskets in my freezer too begging to become pastrami ;)
Carolyn