• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

My rescued OBS

Started by DetroitSmoke, November 09, 2012, 05:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DetroitSmoke

While going through my brother in-laws building that is scheduled to be torn down I spotted what looked like a smoker.  I asked him if I could have it and he said yes.  At the time I knew nothing about Bradley smokers in fact never heard of them.  When I got it home and opened it up it was a stinky mess burnt on food everywhere and it smelled of mold.  Using Oiil Out degreaser (Purple Power works well also) spraying it and letting it soak for a few hours (did this 3 times) I managed to clean it back to bare metal.  Took the SG apart and cleaned it as well, it sure is made well.  The smoker looks like it had been abused and left outside uncovered for a few years.  The box had some of the metal eaten away by corrosion (red silicone and a aluminum patch will fix it).  The drip tray and water bowl both have pinhole eaten into them.  Long story short (or is it to late)  it was a stinky mess but I managed to get it operational again after buying a new front base plate and slider control.  Thanks to this forum I was able to realize the full potential of my lucky find.  THANKS TO ALL THE POSTERS

here is the area eaten away.  Everything else was fine.
Bradley BTIS1
Dual Element or Single w/switch
convection fan/switch, extra racks
Big Chief cold smoke gen
Kirkland SS Gas Grill
Please buy me a dual probe PID

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

squirtthecat

Quarlow

Hey a little handy work and your good as new...ly.......aquired rescue smoker. WOOT WOOT! Welcome to the forum.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

viper125

Looks good. Well went out to fool with mine and see I have a lower hinge or something broke. Think its the door.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

DetroitSmoke

I bought all the mods for the smoker but haven't installed them yet.  From what I have read I think it's best if I take the door and hinges off before I start installing the fan, second element and extra shelf supports.  Don't want to break anything. Already have $300 into my free smoker
Bradley BTIS1
Big Chief cold smoke gen
Kirkland SS Gas Grill

devo

Hehehe.....nothings free when you start smoken  ;D ;D

Good find and welcome

TedEbear

Quote from: DetroitSmoke on November 09, 2012, 06:53:55 PMAlready have $300 into my free smoker

My goodness.  Amazon has the OBS brand new for $227.19 right now.

KyNola

Noticed you said part of the inner lining of the tower has been eaten away but aluminum and red silicone would fix that.  Were I you I would do a little research on that "red silicone" before I put it in the tower subject to heat where I was going to be cooking anything.

TedEbear

Quote from: KyNola on November 09, 2012, 09:50:22 PM
Were I you I would do a little research on that "red silicone" before I put it in the tower subject to heat where I was going to be cooking anything.

Some of us found that Permatex high temp red RTV is food safe.  We were using that to seal the TC probes on the Maverick ET-732 in the Maverick 732 problems again thread.

DetroitSmoke

When I said "red silicone" I meant high temp RTV. the Permatex RTV is rated to 650F.  Also I am just using it to glue a aluminum patch.  Need to patch it because who knows what is in the foam insulation.  Thanks for your concerns.  Thats what I like about this board
Bradley BTIS1
Big Chief cold smoke gen
Kirkland SS Gas Grill

KyNola

Quote from: TedEbear on November 09, 2012, 10:06:32 PM
Quote from: KyNola on November 09, 2012, 09:50:22 PM
Were I you I would do a little research on that "red silicone" before I put it in the tower subject to heat where I was going to be cooking anything.
Some of us found that Permatex high temp red RTV is food safe.  We were using that to seal the TC probes on the Maverick ET-732 in the Maverick 732 problems again thread.
And now that DetroitSmoke has identified "red silicone" as Permatex high temp red RTV, I have no issue TedEbear.  I used to do a lot of auto body work and trust me, there is a lot of "red silicone" you would not want to put in anything you were going to cook with.

muebe

That is cool!

Bringing a old abused Bradley back from the dead like that! Great story ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)