• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Greetings from the Windy City

Started by FireChicago, November 12, 2012, 06:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FireChicago

Hey all:

As we speak I've got a brand-new-but-seasoned BS611 doing it's magically smoky thing to a brown sugar cured hunk of wild salmon and 4 brined chicken breasts out on the 14th floor balcony overlooking beautiful Lake Michigan. It's a mildly windy 30 degrees at this point and for some reason, she's not getting much over 160.

I'm fairly sure it's the wind, but we'll see.

Anyway, I can't wait to explore the forums and smoke everything I can get my hands on.

Thanks for reading!

KyNola

Welcome to the forum.  By chance do you have the vent on the top of the tower closed or nearly closed?  If you do, open it because you are trapping all of the moisture from the salmon and the brined chicken in your tower which is holding your temp down and will eventually start dripping a vile black rain down on your food, effectively ruining it.  One other thing, it you're relying on the thermometer in the door, you may very well be getting inaccurate readings.

If not, check to make certain the main heating element is glowing red.  If it is not, check all of your connections to make certain they are all firmly seated.

FireChicago

In fact it was half way open, so I did open it. I did not see the element glowing however. I'll check the connections. I'm finishing everything in the oven (they've been smoking for about 3 hours, so very likely the flavor is imparted) and I'll keep an eye on the element.

I guess they're right, one of the best things about the OBS is the forums!

Thanks for the help KyNola

KyNola

If the element was not glowing red, check the connections like I mentioned and see if that corrects the problem and the element begins to glow.  If not, try this.  Remove the smoke generator from the tower and turn the generator upside down.  You should see 8 screws around the perimeter.  Remove those screws(no, it won't void your warranty and don't remove the screws in the middle of the generator) and open the generator, clamshell fashion.  Check all of the connections in there to make certain they are all well connected.  Put it all back together and see if the heating element glows when you fire it up.  If not, contact the fine folks at Bradley.  Their customer service is super and they will make it right I assure you.

Let us know if you get it fired up ok.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: KyNola on November 12, 2012, 08:00:11 PM
If the element was not glowing red, check the connections like I mentioned and see if that corrects the problem and the element begins to glow.  If not, try this.  Remove the smoke generator from the tower and turn the generator upside down.  You should see 8 screws around the perimeter.  Remove those screws(no, it won't void your warranty and don't remove the screws in the middle of the generator) and open the generator, clamshell fashion.  Check all of the connections in there to make certain they are all well connected.  Put it all back together and see if the heating element glows when you fire it up.  If not, contact the fine folks at Bradley.  Their customer service is super and they will make it right I assure you.

Let us know if you get it fired up ok.

Can he also plug the cabinet straight into an outlet, to see if the element will heat up? All my units are digitals not 100% familiar with the OBS's
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Ketch22

mikecorn.1

Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

Illinois Hokie

Just gonna throw this out there, invest five bucks in an oven thermometer. The one in the door might be bad. Probably not, but you never know.

beefmann

squirtthecat

Welcome from the equally windy 'downstate'..

FireChicago

Thanks all!

I checked the connections and the one into the genny wasn't seated properly, once I made it 'snap' in, she fired up properly and poured on the heat. Now my condo smells like a smokehouse and I have some delicious chicken and cured salmon that is already drawing acclaim  ;D

I am concerned about the wind though, so I'll be investing in a water heater blanket for those real windy days, unless the group has another recommendation for a balcony-based wind block.

I am VERY excited about this...I'm gonna smoke EVERYTHING!

Next up, smoked Mac and Cheese and beef jerky.

Chow!

mikecorn.1

You can get a welding blanket for sure. Also, you want to protect the vent from strong winds cause it'll suck the heat right out. I will usually place a few boxes of bisquettes around the top to protect some. Good luck :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

dman4505

Welcome

One thing I did not see mentioned in some of the other welcomes you received is:

"We Love Pictures"

One of the more popular quotes around here is

"No pictures - Didn't Happen" so be sure and post some pics of your adventures in this crazy world of smoking foods.

Don
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.