• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Second Element Questions

Started by Shark Bait, November 25, 2012, 02:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Bait

To expand the use of my DBS I have decided to change or add a second element and add an Auber 2 probe PID. I have read all of the posts on the forum concerning modifying the element and have a couple of questions for those of you who have done the modification.

It appears there are two popular ways to increase the heating capability of the Bradley;
  1. Replace the original element with a TEMPCO CSF00131 SS Heater,120V,Length 12 In,900W or
  2. Add a second 500W Bradley element.

For those of you who have performed the heating element modification:
  1.Why did you select the method you did?
  2. What are the pros and cons to each method?
  3. Would you do the modification again?
  4. Have you found a need for more than the 900W/1000W?

OBTW - While my profile shows I joined the forum in 2006 I bought my first Bradley, 4 rack OBS, in 2000 and then in 2007 I bought my current 6 rack DBS.

GusRobin

For those of you who have performed the heating element modification:
  1.Why did you select the method you did?

2nd element with on/off switch. Felt it gave me more options. For example, my PID went out once and had to send it in for repair. I was able to use the switch to run both elements to reach temp, turn it off and control by the slider ( I have the obs). When I opened the door to mop or whatever I was able to use the switch to turn on 2nd element to recover temp and then turn it off.  I liked the idea of  1000 better than 900 (not sure there is a noticeable difference). If something happened to one element I still had the other.
  2. What are the pros and cons to each method?
Not sure of the 900 but the pros for the 2nd is stated above and no cons as far as my experience

3. Would you do the modification again?
I got my bradley, seasoned it and the next day did the mod. I have no regrets.  A friend who had a bradley for a while saw the performance and did the mod on his. I would definitely do it again and I would install the on/off switch. It is a simple addition to the mod and you never know when you may use it.

4. Have you found a need for more than the 900W/1000W?
Not sure it could take more, the auber plug and play probably could not handle it much higher. For higher temps I use my weber or the UDS.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

tskeeter

Shark Bait, I did the dual element mod.

Why modify?  I live in an area with adverse climate conditions.  Cold temperatures and high winds.  I don't want to build an in-garage smoking station, like some folks have done, so a 500 watt element is a bit under powered.  In addition, the ability to generate more heat means quicker recovery times when you put a lot of meat into the smoker and when you are smoking large cuts of meat, like pork shoulders.

Why dual element?  If you have a single element that fails, you're out of business.  With two elements, one will still work.  And it was a n easy mod that was well documented on this web site.

Would I do the mod again?  In a heartbeat.  Despite the cost of the PID.

Do you need more than 1,000 watts?  I find that when we have very high winds (over 30 mph), the ability to generate even more heat might be desirable.  But I have found using a few foil wrapped bricks as a heat sink compensates nicely at a lower cost than yet another heating element and a PID that will handle more power.