• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

No smoke

Started by JohnM70, November 17, 2012, 02:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnM70

I just received my 4 rack BDS yesterday. I assembled it without too much trouble. Follow the instructions on seasoning and plenty of smoke started to appear. :) I noticed that the oven was not heating up. I checked the FAQ's on the Bradley site and determined that the plug from the oven to the smoke box was not all the way in, that taken care of I decided to repeat the seasoning steps. That is when everything went downhill. >:(

Like the first time I started the smoke box waited 20-25 minutes and set the timers and temperature on the oven. This time there was not smoke but the smoke box dutifully pushed the 3 bisquette into the water bowel unburned.  I decided to wait until today. I checked all the connections and all appears well... but no smoke.

Bradley is closed for the weekend so I will wait until Monday to contact them, that is unless someone has an idea which could get me smoke'n  before that.

One thing that was interesting is that the the burner is already stained and the tray before it has some very black burn marks on it and they much darker than the burner.

I don't have all terminology down but that will happen soon.

Thanks

John   
Bradley 6 Rack BDS with cold smoke attachment, Maverick remote dual temp(2), Thermapen and,  Auber Dual Probe PID, 1300 Watt Mod, Weber Genesis E310

"I keep cutting it off and cutting it off and it is still too short"

devo

There is a fuse on the generator I do believe.  If the fuse that is located on the back of the generator keeps blowing, unplug it and open the generator. Disconnect the wire to the bisquette burner. Close the generator, but do not fasten it with the screws. Install a new fuse (the correct size fuse is 10 amps 250V, these can be found in most automotive stores), and plug the generator in. If the fuse does not blow, then you have a bad bisquette burner and you need to replace it. While you have the generator open, give in a good cleaning.

If it the fuse blows when the bisquette burner is disconnected, then you have a short somewhere. Clean the generator; paying close attention to were wires connects. Check all wires for any breaks or missing insulation. After cleaning off the heavier build up, use an electrical contact cleaner to further clean the connections. Leave the bisquette burner disconnected. Close the generator cabinet, install a new fuse. If the fuse blows again contact Bradley Technologies.

If after cleaning and the fuse does not blow, unplug the generator and reconnect the bisquette burner Now close the generator and plug it in. If it blows with the bisquette burning reconnected, then more then one problem may have been causing the fuse to blow - you will need a new biquette burner. If everything is working after connecting the bisquette burner, make sure all wires are securely connected, and do not interfere with the movement of the motor arm, before you reassemble the generator. If you still have a problem, contact Bradley Technologies.

viper125

When you checked inside connections. Did you unplug and plug each back in. And are you plugged into the wall.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

KyNola

John, remove the smoke generator from the tower and turn it upside down.  Remove the 8 perimeter screws(won't void the warranty).  Don't remove the screws in the center of the generator.  The smoke generator will open clamshell style.  Check all of the connections inside the smoke generator to make certain the connections are good.  Your problem may be there.  Close the generator, install the screws and see if it fires up the way it is supposed to.

JohnM70

Quote from: devo on November 17, 2012, 02:28:17 PM
There is a fuse on the generator I do believe.  If the fuse that is located on the back of the generator keeps

Devo thanks for the reply, I check the fuse and it is OK. I have only run about 10 Bisquettes through the burner. the movement of the motor is fine and it works outside the oven. I have cleaned out the smoker.

thanks

John
Bradley 6 Rack BDS with cold smoke attachment, Maverick remote dual temp(2), Thermapen and,  Auber Dual Probe PID, 1300 Watt Mod, Weber Genesis E310

JohnM70

Quote from: viper125 on November 17, 2012, 03:16:17 PM
When you checked inside connections. Did you unplug and plug each back in. And are you plugged into the wall.

I re-seated all the plugs all were ok (i think). It is kind of interesting it worked once then quit.

thanks
John

JohnM70

Quote from: KyNola on November 17, 2012, 03:27:07 PM
John, remove the smoke generator from the tower and turn it upside down.  Remove the 8 perimeter screws(won't void the warranty).  Don't remove the screws in the center of the generator.  The smoke generator will open clamshell style.  Check all of the connections inside the smoke generator to make certain the connections are good.  Your problem may be there.  Close the generator, install the screws and see if it fires up the way it is supposed to.

KyNola thanks for the reply . I removed the generator and checked the connections to the burner only. Tomorrow I will check all the connections. It is just odd that it worked once and then quit. I have only fed a few disc through and there is no binding that I can see. I did clean what little residue was present.

Thanks

John

JohnM70

I contacted Bradley customer support and explained the problem to the tech. She asked me to check all the connectors (now where did I hear that before). I checked all the connectors, re-seating each one and still no heat from the burner. I called back and explained what has happened and she referred me to another tech. He had me do the same thing although this time he asked me to re-crimp the connectors and still nothing. He then asked me to hold while he talked with a manager. He came back and asked me to continue to hold. I suggested rather than hold I give him my name and number and for him to call back when a decision was made (Mistake 1). 

At 13:00 CST I called back (I had waited 3 hours) and was told they were sending FEDEX with a pickup for the smoke generator and three cables. When they received the tracking number, they would ship a new smoke generator. I asked about the time involved and when would I receive the new smoke generator. Taking in the Holiday, she said it might be there Saturday or Monday. 

OK no smoked turkey and other stuff this Thanksgiving.

It is too bad they do not ship and pickup at the same time. I have had this done at other facilities.

Again many thanks for the help. I will let you all know the outcome next week.

Happy Thanksgiving to All.

John

Bradley (Head Office)

Quote from: JohnM70 on November 19, 2012, 01:36:27 PM
I contacted Bradley customer support and explained the problem to the tech. She asked me to check all the connectors (now where did I hear that before). I checked all the connectors, re-seating each one and still no heat from the burner. I called back and explained what has happened and she referred me to another tech. He had me do the same thing although this time he asked me to re-crimp the connectors and still nothing. He then asked me to hold while he talked with a manager. He came back and asked me to continue to hold. I suggested rather than hold I give him my name and number and for him to call back when a decision was made (Mistake 1). 

At 13:00 CST I called back (I had waited 3 hours) and was told they were sending FEDEX with a pickup for the smoke generator and three cables. When they received the tracking number, they would ship a new smoke generator. I asked about the time involved and when would I receive the new smoke generator. Taking in the Holiday, she said it might be there Saturday or Monday. 

OK no smoked turkey and other stuff this Thanksgiving.

It is too bad they do not ship and pickup at the same time. I have had this done at other facilities.

Again many thanks for the help. I will let you all know the outcome next week.

Happy Thanksgiving to All.

John

Hi John

Sorry to hear you are having troubles with your smoke generator

Do you by chance have an electrical meter that you can test the bisquette burner with?

Also (DO NOT SEND BACK THE THREE CABLES) just in case your new generator does not come with them.

I will talk to the office and tell them you are not sending back the cords.

Please send me your shipping info by PM or email.

Brian.

JohnM70

Thanks Brian, I have sent you a PM.

JohnM70

I finally have smoke. ;D Bradley sent a new SG that I received on Friday (11/23). I repeated the seasoning process and there was plenty of smoke. To be sure, I repeated the process a second time and, all worked fine.

Sunday, I put all to the test and smoked a 6lbs whole chicken. I placed the chicken on a 'chicken roaster' and it stood proudly in the oven. I used a dry rub (Tuscan Seasoning) added a little kosher salt and ground pepper. I used pecan bisquettes. The temperature here in Sioux Falls is about 34 degrees and I know there would be issues.

I pre heated the SG and tower before inserting the bisquettes. Originally, I set the oven temperature to 220F. After the chicken was in, I noticed the oven temperature was not correct and increased the settings to 250F. I am not sure but with the pecan, there was less smoke than the oak. I am sure the cool temperature had something to do with the reduction in smoke volume but all is well and after all, it is the taste that counts.  After 2 hours of smoke, we finished the roasting in our kitchen oven until the internal temperature was 165F and let it rest for about 15 minutes. When I cut into the thigh there was a little red. When the warden saw this, she put the chicken back into the oven.

I carved the chicken and I could not believe the moistness and flavor. :) That was the best roasted chicken we have had in a long time.

I also purchased a Maverick remote barbecue thermometer! Now that is a tool that is necessary for all smokers (barbecue that is ;D)! It was so nice to sit in the house and monitor the smoker. All that is needed is remote control for the SG. Also, from what I read about the thermometer on the SG I understand that the readings are only a suggestion.

I want to thank the two women in customer service and the second level tech for the attention they paid to my issue. There was a minor glitch but Brian came to the rescue. To me the staff that I was in contact with put a positive first look on Bradley.

I am now a smokn' fool. 8)

watchdog56

Sounds like you are hooked, congrats.

viper125

Glad to hear!  Always heard they were god to deal with. Actually I cant complain only problem Ive had is my door and I didn't send in a warranty card. My lose and mistake not theirs. Probably out of time any way. Hope you  many great smokes.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.