• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New to Bradley smoker

Started by ocarolina, December 17, 2012, 01:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ocarolina

I just got a Bradley smoker - black original version.  I am a chef and smoked lots of things when I was in culinary school, and now I do a few things in the Alto Shaam smoker at work.  I am open to all suggestions using this smoker, as I know it is different than a $6000 commercial smoker.  Hopefully I can learn some new things here.

BAM1

Wow Brian needs to get you to do a media spot.  "only the best for this Chef"  welcome to the forum.
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

mikecorn.1

Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

beefmann

ocarolina

Thanks for the kind words and welcome.  I researched home smokers, and the Bradley seemed to have the most positive feedback for both hot and cold smoking applications.  I just got it a couple of days ago, and already smoked 2 pork butts, have whiting fish in there now, and lox curing to smoke on Wednesday.  If only I needed bacon now, but just smoked some in the smoker at work.  It is an addiction that I am sure my family and friends will be glad I have gotten sucked into.  I am very into my food - from roasting coffee beans, to making beer and wine.  This is the next hobby to occupy my time at home.  Hopefully I can get some good ideas of things to smoke and how to modify/upgrade the unit.

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

seb bot

Welcome to the forum ocarolina, sounds like you got a pretty good idea of what you're doing already!

Nonetheless, you may still find some good info and recipes specific to your new bradley, not to mention potential mods ;)

What kind of set up do you have for home roasting your beans??
I got a decent grinder a couple of years ago and usually get fresh locally roasted coffee, but the idea of home roasting is very intriguing!
Haven't looked to see if there's a coffee thread here somewhere, sometimes neat to hear what set ups and beans people are using...

TedEbear

Welcome aboard, ocarolina.  I'm looking forward to reading and possibly trying out some of your smoking recipes.  Pics of the finished product are always popular around here.   ;)

Salmonsmoker

Welcome to the forum ocarolina. Ditto on what TedEbear said. ;D
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Ketch22

ocarolina

I have both a Behmor drum roaster and an Iroast 2 which unfortumately is no longer made. I have a Baratza virtuoso preciso grinder and both a Rancilio silvia espresso maker (me) and a Saeco vienna deluxe espresso (hubby) maker. Been roasting beans for about 5 years now. I am all hands on when it comes to cooking and beverages and I enjoy doing things myself from scratch.

Tenpoint5

Welcome Aboard! What ever you do DO NOT look under the sausage making header! You don't have enough time on your hands. Making sausage is just way too much fun! Not to mention you can actually pronounce everything that you put into your sausage. Have fun learning how your smoker works as is. Then maybe later you can decide if any modifications are needed to fit your applications.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ocarolina

I already make sausage. Been making it for years with my kitchenaid grinder and a hand crank stuffer. Finally over the summer I bought the stuffer from Gander mountain. I like to put garnishes in my sausage and I find the canister stuffer keeps them from getting smashed. I have made some pretty neat sausages incl. both smoked and non smoked. I will have to check out the recipes this weekend when I get more time. I will let you know what kinds when I get to a computer.

SiFumar

Welcome!  Come back and post some pictures of your smokes/cooks.

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712