• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Hello All

Started by Butchca, December 18, 2012, 03:32:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butchca

Greetings
My name is Bob and although I've been using a Big Steel Keg for 2 years for smoking and grilling,
my wife Cathy & I treated ourselves to the Bradley 4 shelf digital model. We are about 50 miles NW
of Toronto.
I recently turned 60 & my family gave me a meat grinder and High Mountain Summer Sausage Kit,
so I thought making a couple of these would be a good starting exercise. The recipe calls for 1 hour
at 120F with no smoke, followed by 1 hour @ 140F for 1 hour with smoke, then 30 mins @160F and finally 180F
until internal temp reaches 156F. I had a bit of a problem maintaining the temp. but I fully expected
a learning curve so I'm not concerned about this.
The problem I'm not sure how to handle, is during the last stage, I sat down to watch the tube with my trusty
remote grill & meat temp. receiver & promptly fell fast asleep. (A fairly common occurrence these days!) The last
temps I read were the grill @ 180F and the sausage 135F. The timers on the Brradley had about 1-2 hrs left
on them. I awoke around midnight and all was cold. I put the sausage  in the fridge.
Now I don't know if assuming it reached temp is wise or should i warm to room temp then finish in the oven
OR treat it as lesson leaned and toss it?

Any ideas gurus?

Thanks
Bob

beefmann

welcome aboard, the sausage guru's will be able to point you in  the right direction.

Salmonsmoker

Welcome to the forum Butcha. You could try to guesstimate the temperature rise per hour if you tracked it before you dozed off and add that to the your last known reading. An easier and safer suggestion would be to stick it in the oven @ 180F until it reaches the proper IT.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Butchca

Thanks for the welcome and advice fellas!
I've got them in the oven now. I'll get them to 156 then
do the ice water routine I was reading about on this forum.
Better safe than sorry.

Cheers
Bob

Ketch22

welcome to the forum.

mikecorn.1

Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

Butchca

Update.
I cooked the sausage in the oven, it took about 5 hours at 200F
All appears to be well now. I was afraid it would dry out, but not so.

Thanks for the comments and welcomes everyone!

Salmonsmoker

Glad it worked out. Pictures?
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712