Any suggestions for a newbie ???

Started by Game-smoker, December 27, 2012, 05:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Game-smoker

Hey guy's, I just got a 6 rack electric Bradley as a present for Xmas. I have limited experience smoking foods and have really only done some jerky in the past with a little chief I have. Is there any advise you guys can offer to a newbie just starting out such as additional equipment I might need. I'm an experienced cook and avid hunter and want to use the smoker to its fullest potential . I plan on using it on my wild game such as venison, elk, boar, fowl, upland but also want to try it on domestic animals and cheese. Any basic suggestions to to me started would be much appreciated.

GusRobin

There are a number of "nice to haves": --a PID controller, and 2nd element , cold smoke adapter comes to mind. The only "must have" in my opinion is a remote thermometer. (many use Maverick 732, but there are cheaper options). And even that can be done without.

So that leaves adult beverages.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Game-smoker

Thanks for the suggestions, I have been looking into a good thermometer as I hear that is one of the more important items. ....... A good cold beverage or two is a necessity while I wait.

STLstyle

Quote from: GusRobin on December 27, 2012, 05:04:26 PM
There are a number of "nice to haves": --a PID controller, and 2nd element , cold smoke adapter comes to mind. The only "must have" in my opinion is a remote thermometer. (many use Maverick 732, but there are cheaper options). And even that can be done without.

I agree.  I'd get a maverick 732 first, then decide on other mods if you determine necessary.  I too have a 6 rack and now have dual elements and PID, but take your time, use it straight out the box and see what you think.

Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

Game-smoker

Yeah I can see what you mean as far as taking it slow and seeing what I like and what works for me. The more modifications/adaptions I look at seem to confuse me more. Haha :o 

STLstyle

I too hunt deer and waterfowl and like to eat what I harvest. The sausage recipes on the recipe site are a great place to start with that.  My family loved my first batch (it's gone!).

Sent from my iPhone
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

mikecorn.1

You should also invest in some bubba pucks/puck savers. Frogmats are a nice addition also. Instant read thermometer. Remote thermometer.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

Game-smoker

Hey mikecorn, thanks for the advise but I'm not sure what puck savers are. Can you explain them to me? Sorry, trying to learn all these accessories still

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Game-smoker on December 28, 2012, 12:59:05 PM
Hey mikecorn, thanks for the advise but I'm not sure what puck savers are. Can you explain them to me? Sorry, trying to learn all these accessories still
Click hereto buy
Click hereto see what they are used for

Mike

RedJada

Quote from: GusRobin on December 27, 2012, 05:04:26 PM

A+ on the Maverick 732, I can save your food as well as your house. Take a look.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=30927.0

The second element is a nice up grade, not for more heat but for faster heat recovery times when you open the door. The PID is a nice addition as well. I got the Auber duel probe plug and play. Both the second element and PID are sitting on my kitchen table, I plan to get these going with the next week.

Just to say I have only had my Bradley since this past black Friday. My first smoke was the full slabs of baby back ribs.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10182.0

I did the 2-2-1 method. 2 hours of smoke, 2 hours wrapped in foil. 1 hour cook without foil. Awesome!!!!

Welcome Game-smoker, you'll like it here.

mikecorn.1

Mike