• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

sticking puck advancer button

Started by jsmoyer50, January 11, 2013, 09:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsmoyer50

My OBS is slightly over a year old. Lately, my puck advance button has been sticking when I press it in. This causes the pucks to continually advance. Usually I can force it to pop back out. Does anyone have a solution for this problem? Is it safe to hit it with a little WD40? Thanks.

Tenpoint5

I would recommend contact cleaner over wd40
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

beefmann

Habanero Smoker

Denatured or isopropyl alchol and a couple of Q-Tips work well also.

For a more permanent fix:
Stuck Advance Button

Or purchase a new button.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

viper125

Well mine has too. But the button is sticking in the hole. Needs a chamber put on the red button and really just haven't bothered. I found if you don't push it in all the way it don't stick. So i simply push and watch for movement. Hardly ever sticks now. But if I open the SG to clean I'll probably do it then.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

viper125

Oh and in case it does I keep a large sewing needle handy and it pops right out. But the way as soon as you realize its stuck just remove the pn of water and you dont loose pucks. ;D
Inside setup.

RedJada

Mine has stuck out of the box, well off the shelf. My last smoke I forgot and lost about 6 pucks before I caught it. Oh well, live and learn. Usually just a couple of taps with the finger will get it to pop back out. But Ill probably replace it with a better button. Nothing like going out after an hour and seeing no smoke...

viper125

RedJada a simple Needle or sharp object used as a lever will pop them out. I also some times turn them on and let them work there way there. Say im drying some thing and hour I will advance only one puck or if an hour and half is ok I just load and turn on. As most times I prefer to allow the meat to dry at a low temp for a while then kick up a little at a time. Don't even need to touch the button then. LOL!
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

Needle nose pliers work well, also.

RedJada;

With the equipment you have, you may want to try Iceman's solution before purchasing a button.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RedJada

Hab, do you mean beefmann? Caus I don't see anything here from iceman.

3rensho

Just replaced my button (red part was broken off).  Five minute job and good chance to clean SG inside and lube the puck advance mechanism.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

TedEbear

Quote from: RedJada on January 12, 2013, 05:30:04 AM
Hab, do you mean beefmann? Caus I don't see anything here from iceman.

Iceman's suggestion is in the Stuck Advance Button link that he posted.

drano

I had the sticking button problem too.  The square hole in the tin was too small.  Open smoke generator, remove button, give a couple light file strokes, replace button and try.  If still sticks, repeat. 
Be careful with the file--a little goes a long way.
If you file too much, wrap electrical tape around the switch to fill the gap for the square hole--don't ask why I know this. :-[