• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Duck Jerky

Started by cackler69, January 21, 2013, 11:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cackler69

Made in the smoker, should I...

use liquid smoke?
use the bisquettes?
use the heat?
cold smoke?

Can you tell I need help?? Any tips specific to DUCK JERKY welcome!

Mrs. C  :-*

KyNola

I should preface this by telling you I have never made duck jerky but I have made lots of beef and turkey jerky.  I would use the bisquettes and I would use heat, no higher than 150.  Remember, with jerky you are not cooking the meat, you are drying it.  One other thing, do you have a specific recipe you are following and does it have a curing agent.  If there is no curing agent I would caution you against trying to make the jerky.

cackler69

Well......sir....I WAS going to use a jerky season/cure(?) recipe I found on here...?

Nothing really different than I've used or done in the oven before, except I'm gonna use the smoker...... ^_^

Mrs. C :-*

KyNola

My apologies Mrs. C.  Will look forward to your results.

NePaSmoKer

3 pounds skinless, de-fatted duck or goose breast
2 cups water
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cure 1
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon porcini powder
3 tablespoons brown sugar

Slice the duck breasts into roughly 1/4 inch strips. Mix remaining ingredients well in a large bowl. Put the meat into the marinade and massage it all around to coat evenly. Pour everything into a seal-able plastic bag or container and set in the fridge. Let this marinate for at least 24 and up to 48 hours — the longer it is in the mix, the saltier the meat will get. During the marinating process, massage the meat around in the bag to keep all the pieces in contact with the marinade.

Remove the duck from the bag and pat dry with paper towels. Either follow your dehydrator's instructions for making jerky (I dehydrate mine after the 2 hour smoke), or lay the strips on smoker rack smoke for 2 hours at 150 then just heat at 160 until duck jerky bends. Store either in the fridge indefinitely, or at room temperature for up to 1 month.

cackler69

Thank you NePaSmoker! That's what I thought...just making sure.

KyNola! Silly man  ;) I hope that wasn't read as I was being rude. I appreciate your input. ALWAYS.

cackler69

Well......it's been in the smoker for about 2 hrs now. I used Jim Beam puks for 2 hrs of smoke....and I'm rotating/turning every hour, at 150F......dumped bowl after smoke and left it dry......