• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Do I have to "Season" the smoker before EVERY use?

Started by chrisluck, April 07, 2013, 12:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisluck

I just got my Bradley Digital Smoker and was reading the instructions about seasoning the smoker before use.

Quick question...

Do I have to "Season" the smoker before "Every" use?

Or just before the 1st use?

Thanks in advance!

iceman

chrisluck

Thanks!

I'm still trying to figure out the right way to "Prep" the smoker before each use.

The instructions doesn't give any advice.

I was thinking:

1) Pre-heat the smoker burner and oven at the same time, until the oven reaches desired temp.

2) When oven reaches desired temp (Then) advance the briquettes until one gets onto the burner.

3) Let it run

Is this the right way to do use the smoker each time?

Or should I have one of the briquettes smoking on the burner (while) the oven is pre-heating?

Salmonsmoker

Which smoker are you referring to? The man or the machine? The machine, one time. The man, every time....with an adult beverage of your choice. :o :o

Welcome to the forum chrisluck.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

iceman

Quote from: chrisluck on April 07, 2013, 12:29:20 PM
Thanks!

I'm still trying to figure out the right way to "Prep" the smoker before each use.

The instructions doesn't give any advice.

I was thinking:

1) Pre-heat the smoker burner and oven at the same time, until the oven reaches desired temp.

2) When oven reaches desired temp (Then) advance the briquettes until one gets onto the burner.

3) Let it run

That works.

dman4505

Congrats on your new purchase, you've come to the right place to get your questions answered as we've all been there.
Iceman has ya covered on the seasoning of the smoker.

And this is my procedure for each use:

3.) Add choice of meat

4) Let it run

5.) Sit back and enjoy a beaverage (adult/or not), lite up a cigar or two depending on what's in the Bradley

Don
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Indy Smoker

Remember when seasoning/smoking that you will need 2 extra up pucks to push the others along. So don't be surprised when these last 2 pucks don't complete the cycle an are not burnt like the others.
ABT's are good for a first smoke too.
Welcome aboard !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iceman

Ya need a few bubba pucks to push the last wood ones off.

BAM1

If you pre heat the smoke generator and then move your puck to the heater it will push off as soon as it hits it's 20 minute cycle.  I always heat my smoke generator, turn it off then back on again to restart the timer and then advance my pucks.  That way your puck will burn the entire 20 minutes.
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

TedEbear

Quote from: BAM1 on April 12, 2013, 07:20:52 PM
If you pre heat the smoke generator and then move your puck to the heater it will push off as soon as it hits it's 20 minute cycle. 

The way I understood how it works is that the timer resets itself whenever you press the manual advance button.

zzzippper

Help please.  I just tried to season my Bradley four-rack digital.  At least one puck landed in the water bowl without burning, it may have been the first one.

#1 in water? why? :-\
#2 burned
#3 almost completely burned
#4 leading edge charred
#5 unburned

pokermeister

#1 could have been pushed into the water if you pushed the advance button one extra time. #2 &#3 sound normal. #4 has a leading burnt edge as it was next to the smoke generator. Even though there is a gap, the heat will cause the edge to burn (Bubba pucks solve this problem). #5 is normal. Others more knowledgeable will chime in shortly. Hope this helps.
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

zzzippper

Thanks PM.  I probably did push the advance button twice.  I was pushing button like Don Rickles at a catholic wedding reception.

beefmann