• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Curing Bacon

Started by thmule, May 09, 2013, 09:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thmule

When using a dry cure for bacon, I normally use a normal ziplock bag and just squeeze out the excess air and zip it up. Does anyone know what difference it makes if you use a vacuum lock bag? Would sucking the air out be beneficial or detrimental ??

Habanero Smoker

It's not detrimental, but I'm not sure how beneficial it is. Some members do vacuum seal while they cure their bacon or other meats, and reported good results. I can't recall if some stated they reduced their curing times or not. I've never tried vacuum sealing, I may give it a try the next time I use a wet brine.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

i have always cured in a  tupper ware type of container and never cured in a  vacuum sealed bag,,,may have to give it a  try

KyNola

I have cured meats using both methods.  I don't think the results are significantly different although the curing time seems to be slightly reduced and the curing mix and liquid remains affixed to the meat better in the vac bags.  I must admit that I use the ziplock bag method more often simply because I am lazy and it is easier to just open one of those bags and throw the meat in and expel as much air as possible rather than to drag out my vac sealer, make a bag to fit, etc.

Both methods work just fine.

wkahler

When i do my bacon i normally vacuum  seal it, but the main issue i have is not getting the paste on the bag where it will seal.  If you do get any of the salt on it then the bag won't get a total seal and it will let air in and the liquid out if you don't catch it in time.  So what i am trying to talk the wife into is the 14" sealer that they sell through LEM, but the $400+ price tag is killing that idea!  If i can get the bigger bags then the bellies when i cut them in half would fit better.  So back to the point...............I have only cured bacon this way so i know it works but not sure about the other ways!
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

thmule

Thanks to everyone for their input.
I decided to try both methods and see what, if any, difference they make.
I am using 2 pieces of shoulder pork approx. the same size. I am using the Bradleys Maple Cure, Dry, which I have left for 3 days. Then I have added about 1/3 cup of maple syrup to both and give it a rub once a day massage the liquid into the meat. I will smoke it this coming weekend and give you my results.
The one thing I have noticed already is the meat in the ziplock bag has turned brownish in colour as apposed to the meat in the vacuum sealed bag has remained pink.

MallardWacker

Trust me you won't find a difference...the BIG thing is...you making bacon! Have fun.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

KyNola

Oh my Gosh, MW!  Good to see you on here again!

Habanero Smoker

Hi Mike;

Glad to see you posting again.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MallardWacker

Trust me...I know it doesn't mean much from a rural duewd from ARK...you guys have and always been the best.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...