• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Homemade Pucks

Started by PaulD, May 31, 2013, 09:52:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulD

I am making my own homemade pucks.  I (think) I've read all the historical posts on making your own pucks.  But, a number of them are from years ago.  My question relates to binding agents.  It seems that the most highly recommended binding agent back in 2006 was agar powder.  Well, it has gone up in price exponentially.  So my question is: what would be peoples recommended binding agent now (with May 2013 prices).

Here are the opitions I have come up with:

Corn Starch
Gelatine
Arrrowroot
Agar
Hide glue
Gypsum

I don't have hydraulics like some of you, so I have to do it the old fashioned way.

Keymaster

You may be qualified to get some samples from this company http://www.aepcolloids.com/sample-request/ I always thought they used cellulose as a binder.

Quarlow

Don't quote me but I seem to remember mention of collagen. I could be wrong about this, it just seems to ring a bell. And there are alot of bells going off between these ears. ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Keymaster

Quote from: Quarlow on May 31, 2013, 07:31:34 PM
Don't quote me but I seem to remember mention of collagen. I could be wrong about this, it just seems to ring a bell. And there are alot of bells going off between these ears. ;D
I think your bells might be correct :) I knew it started with a C :)

Habanero Smoker

On the packaging the ingredient that is listed is .02% Collagen Hydrolised (binder). If you google that name, it is just basically gelatin (gelatine).

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)