• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smokies?

Started by Thompsoncentre, June 25, 2013, 03:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thompsoncentre

Anyone on here make smokies before? If so anyone got any good recipes.
I'd like to make them like the ones from the store. So I would think you would grind the meat to a near paste .
Any help will be appreciated

Tenpoint5

Twisting them little sausages every 2 inches has been enough to keep me from making them!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

tskeeter

Since nobody with more information has responded I'm going to share my thoughts.

I think I would start with a wiener recipe.  Wieners have a mild flavor and call for the meat to be pretty well emulsified, both attributes of a smokie.  I suspect that the smoky flavor of commercial smokies comes primarily from application of liquid smoke.  Don't know that you can duplicate that flavor by smoking alone.  You might consider adding some liquid smoke to the wiener seasoning to amp up the smoke flavor.

As far as linking all those itty bitty sausages are concerned, that's what kids or grandkids are for.  Helps them develop manual dexterity.

NePaSmoKer

3 lbs lean beef
1 lb pork butt
1 lb beef fat
1.5 t liquid smoke
1 level t cure 1
3 T salt
1 1/4 T white pepper
1 1/4 T black pepper course grind
1 1/4 T ground mustard
2 T garlic granules
1/4 cup dextrose (do not pack)
3/4 cup cold water
2/3 cup nfpdm
sheep casings

Grind meats thru med plate 2x
stuff into prepaired sheep casings and tie off at the lengths you like.
You can put these in smoker starting at 150 until you reach a meat IT of 125 then poach in 160* water until you have an IT of 152-155

If you want cheesy smokies just add 1 lb your fav cheese

Thompsoncentre

I don't mean the small little smokies. I just mean the processed sausages for the BBQ, cheddar or jalapeno or what not.
Thanks neap smoker that looks like a good recipe

tskeeter

Thanks for the clarification.  Many of this forums best recipes are stored at www.susanminor.org/forums under Our Time Tested and Proven Recipes.  There is a section devoted to sausages, including Jim's Jalapeno & Cheddar Sausage.

The sausage forum on this web site also contains many recipes that forum members have developed.  Often they contain interesting ingredients (a recent thread contained a shrimp and pork sausage recipe) as well as discussions of sausage making techniques, coaching and tips for aspiring sausage makers, and troubleshooting assistance if your last attempt didn't quite meet your expectations.  Fun reading and great ideas from an outstanding community of friendly, experienced mentors.