• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Newbie from Texas

Started by Saber 4, May 27, 2013, 06:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber 4

Howdy,
Got my new Bradley Digital Smoker a couple of weeks ago after seeing Brad Lockwood do a seminar at the NRA Convention, I'd been thinking about getting one but that seminar got me off my backside and moving. I also picked up a meat grinder at Cabela's and made my first batch of wild hog breakfast sausage, I am hooked for sure. After seasoning my new smoker my first run was some pecan smoked salmon using the recipe from Bradley for the oak smoked salmon, here's a picture of what dinner looked like that night with rice pilaf and grilled asparagus.

Yesterday I did a 3lb boneless pork loin seasoned with Cavender's Greek Seasoning and some country style pork ribs with my favorite Bolner's Fiesta Brand Texas Steak Seasoning. Smoked for 3 hours with pecan and 3 3/4 hours at 220 degrees to an IT of 160, I took one rib out for sampling and then did the FTC on the loin and other ribs and man were they good. Here's a picture of dinner with the ribs, fresh spinach and corn on the cob, also a couple of pictures from the smoker.

My next smoke will be the same ribs and pork loin but I'm going to marinate them in 2 parts apple juice, 1 part soy sauce, crushed garlic and some star anise if I can find some in time. After marinating I plan to pat dry and use the Texas Style Steak seasoning on the ribs.
I want to thank Bradley for sponsoring this forum and all of you contributors for all the help I got from reading a ton of posts to see what would work and how things flow.

Have a memorable Memorial Day and take a moment to honor those who gave all for are freedom.

KyNola

That is what I would call hitting the ground running!  Nice going and welcome to the Forum.

beefmann

great looking grub,,, welcome to the forum

ragweed

Looks great!  Welcome to the forum from Nebraska.

Defiant

Welcome aboard from the Panhandle of Texas.  This forum is a great resource for information and certified to cause many fun new addictions. What part of Texas do you hail from?

Saber 4

Thanks for the support everyone, I'm originally from San Antonio but south east of Dallas at Cedar Creek Lake for the past 15 years.

Fowl Dog 85

That looks like a great piece of salmon. I'm a huge salmon fan. 
Look here beavers, hide your wives hide your husbands and hey both of ya hide your kids cause we're comin'! ~ Si Robertson

If it flys it dies...if it sits it dies too.

Saber 4

Thanks it turned out great even though it was just frozen fillets from Sam's.

Smokin Sparky

Very nice looking spreads.  Welcome to the forum.  If you have any questions, you will find a wealth of knowledge and experience here.  All you need to do is ask.

Blake
Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.

Saber 4

I wasn't sure where to put these pics but I wanted to post my last couple of successes, so let me know if there's a better way to handle it. Anyway here goes the first ones are a couple of double cut pork chops I smoked with pecan, just seasoned with salt and pepper.

The finished product with Brussels Sprout/Yukon Gold potato hash

Next up was a couple of small racks of baby back ribs, marinated in apple juice, soy sauce, and lime juice overnight then rubbed with my favorite steak seasoning. Smoked with oak for 2 hours at box temp of 230 and pulled at 3 1/2 hours and man were they juicy and tender.

And last but not least here's my first attempt at Canadian Bacon, I cheated and used the Hi Mountain bacon cure because I wanted to see how it would turn out before I dove in head first to buying all the proper cure ingredients. I've got to say it turned out so good that I've got no excuse not to start mixing up the cure's you guys post and keep going.

Here they are after 7 days of cure and one night uncovered in fridge per Hab's instruction sheet tied and ready to smoke.

And here's the finished product

The plan must be working the wife says we should have gotten the Bradley a long time ago and that we should never be buying bacon at wally world again.

terry08

Sounds like you can sell the oven that's in the kitchen.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2