• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Poaching?

Started by Thompsoncentre, June 18, 2013, 03:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thompsoncentre

I kno this is prob. A stupid question, but how do you finish your meat by poaching? Do you just smoke untill you get a temp of just say 120-30 and then throw it in boiling water untill you get your IT of 155?

terry08

I will smoke my sausage for three hours at 120 degrees and then poach in water bath set at 165 degrees, until internal temp reaches 152*. You must keep a close eye on temperature to avoid fat out. More will chime in with information.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

ragweed

I finish a lot of my sausage by poaching.  I USED to set the temp of the water bath at ~162 and poach until an IT of 160.  Where I got the temp of 160 I don't know.  Had 6 successful batches of deer sausage made this way.  UNTIL...the last time.  Despite not going over 160 IT or water bath above 164, I had a fat out.  See my recent post in sausage making "Problem with Summer Sausage" for pics.  From now on the water temp will be no higher than 160 and I'll finish at an IT of 152.  That being said, I still think poaching has its merits.  For one thing it takes less time to finish large chubs like bologna and summer sausage.

Thompsoncentre

So I must be missing something or just having a moment. How do you get your water temp to 160? And when you get it there how do you get it to stay at that temp? I thought once your water starts to boil at 100 it will stay there. Or are you guys using a big outdoor burner that would also be used for deep frying a turkey??

KyNola

Not centigrade.  Those are Fahrenheit temps.

cobra6223

I use a electric roaster, when I set the temp on it I try to keep it between 160-165F I  NEVER put anything in the water over that temp, I learned the hard way and had grease shoot all over the kitchen, what a mess!! I Use 165 as the top number as I figure your adding a lot of meat that's cooler and you should lose a little temp, easier to poach longer than to clean up that mess again. Some guys have a real fancy set up for their thermometers, I don't so I never get more than a couple of steps away and I check every 4-5 minutes and as it gets closer to IT I check it more often and then once it hits 150-152 it goes straight to the ice bath as I sit the roaster right next to the kitchen sink. Once under 100* it gets a quick rinse to get rid of any grease then dab with paper toweling, to avoid some mess the wife has clean up and then I hang it for a couple of hours. Hope this helps you some.
Tim