• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Spare Ribs Help

Started by Cobra7, July 20, 2013, 09:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber 4

Habs, I like the skewer trick you mentioned I need to try that with my ribs, thanks for sharing it with everyone. :)

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Cobra7 on July 21, 2013, 06:40:00 AM
I removed the membrane before the Jan's rub went on. When I tented i put a good bit of apple juice it. After the two hours in foil there must of been 8 oz. of fluid in each foil pack. The ribs were tuff at that point. My neighbor cooks with a stick burner and his are falling apart and mushy but that's the way his family likes them. I even put in a larger water pan to replace the bowel for added humidity.

The 3-2-1 method is a guideline, and may need to be adjusted each time you cook, or for individual racks. I feel they still needed more cooking time, or use a longer foil time. With longer foil times, you may find that some of the bones on the backside of the ribs will be exposed, but that is appearance, and won't effect the taste.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RHOUSER

+1 on the toothpick or skewer for testing doneness.  I look for pull back, l skewer if I think they are close.  I use a single point lift at a rib in the rack of ribs with tongs or I twist the rack. I should not be able to lift the rack without the liftpoint  or twist point tearing open the meat along the supported rib with the weight of the unsupported ribs.
On the 3-2-1, make sure the foil wrap packages are sealed.  The steam and liquid will tenderize the meat.
IMHO, tough ribs at finish mean too much heat and the collagen stage didn't work.  The ribs went too fast. 
Ribs and briskets can take some practice.
Just my 2 cents.
thanks rch