• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking Talapia

Started by Cobra7, July 22, 2013, 12:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra7

Brining today and smoking tomorrow. Any idea on time and temp? The fillets are real thin. Can I put them on racks?

KyNola

If your brine contains acid you don't want to leave it in the brine overnight.  The acid will "cook" the fish.

Cobra7

This is what's in the brine= brown sugar, non-iodize salt, cooking wine, minced garlic, bay leaves, whole pepper corns, 1/2 onion, 1/4 cup key lime juice.

rveal23

The Acids in the lime will cook your fish, instead of smoking you will have Ceviche. Tasty Ceviche though.  :o
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

pz

KyNola and rveal23 brings up a good point.  Ceviche is made using citrus juices such as lime and lemon to cook the fish (essentially the acid cooking process denatures the proteins in the fish much like heat does).  While the 1/4 cup lime juice is smaller than what is normally used to prepare ceviche (commonly a cip of citrus is used), the time spent before eating is only 3-4 hours, so if you leave the marinade on thin talapia filets overnight, they will likely be at least partially "cooked" in the morning.
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Cobra7

We smoke dolphin at my dads house in the Florida keys using this brine so I thought I'd give it a shot. Also going to throw some tuna stakes in there and see how they do. What temp and time would y'all recommend.

Ka Honu

Tilapia is not food.  Don't pretend otherwise.

Saber 4

I have to agree with KH on this one, the wife loves it I can't stand it.

Cobra7

Threw Talapia away. It tasted horrible. Tune turned out great.