• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New batch of jerky

Started by RAF128, August 05, 2013, 05:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

The other day decided I needed more jerky.   The last batch disappeared quick :o Anyway, since I was out of wild meat, had to go to Prairie Meats to get some beef.    Told the butcher what I was doing and he suggested outside round 'cause that's what they used.    Asked for about 5 lbs.   While I was waiting noticed they had some eye of the round in the display fridge that had been vacuum sealed.    When he came back with my order I noticed that the meat had been all sliced.    Boy did that save a lot of work.    I also picked up the eye of the round for next time.
Yesterday I seasoned all the sliced meat.   They slice it thinner than I do so there are more pieces.    It went into the fridge to do it's thing.    This morning I've put the meat into the smoker and now waiting for the meat to come up to room temp.    In about an hour I'll start the smoker.   Going to give it 2 hours of Mesquite smoke and then dry till done.   Shouldn't take too long.    Glad I bought extra racks for my smoker 'cause never would have gotten all the meat on 6 racks

Saber 4

I like the idea of having them slice it, did they slice it with or against the grain? What seasonings did you use and where are the pics??? :)

RAF128

It was sliced with the grain.   As I said, it's thinner than I slice it.   I do mine about 1/4 inch.   Up side was less work for me and more pieces.   It'll likely be done sooner.    The seasoning is from Wild West seasonings.   The package says they're out of Manitoba.   Bought some a while back and needed a little more yesterday and got it at the local Cabelas.   No pictures so far but will take some when it's done.

RAF128

Smoke is done. Some of jerky on bottom rack was done,  so had to try it ;). Not quite the flavour I wanted.  Could use a little something, but good. Not sure I'd use mesquite again.  Took out the water tray and rotated racks, top to bottom and front to back.  Be another hour or so..  Need to keep an eye on it.

Saber 4

I know what you mean about flavors, I'm still tweaking my recipes, hoping to get some good feedback and tips when I go to the MWSO this week. :)

RAF128

Half way done.   Here's a picture when smoke done and water tray about to be removed.

Half the jerky is now done and here's a picture of some of the finished project.

The more I think of it, it might be the mesquite smoke.  Sure it will improve with a little age but chances are it won't last long.   Jerky never does ;D

Saber 4

I tend to like the mesquite, of course in Texas mesquite is everywhere, but for most things I'm leaning towards apple and pecan.

pz

My online cookbook: good food & friends

rveal23

Looks great, taste even better I bet!
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

SiFumar

Snoopy

looks good, i will be inverting the racks on my next one to keep off the bottom. pretty muched screwed the pooch on a couple of pounds i did yesterday, it's kinda jerky, i mean it's dry and edible. as for flavor and correct doneness undershot one, overshot the other. oh well, good thing kids don't really have tastebuds.

RAF128

Yesterday after the jerky was done it sat in the bowl to cool.   I did try a couple of pieces and questioned my choice of Mesquite.   Anyway, later I vacuum sealed it all and put it in the freezer except for one bag.    Anyway, today I've tried a few pieces and the strong smoke taste dissipated and it's actually pretty good.    My jerky slicer is a kit from High mountain.   I have a choice of 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch.   The jerky I just made was from pre-sliced meat from the butcher and is a lot thinner.   It now resembles a lot of commercially bought jerky.   I think I will now alter my jerky slicer to it slices thinner, maybe an eight of an inch or maybe 3 sixteenth.

Saber 4

Quote from: RAF128 on August 06, 2013, 06:52:49 PM
Yesterday after the jerky was done it sat in the bowl to cool.   I did try a couple of pieces and questioned my choice of Mesquite.   Anyway, later I vacuum sealed it all and put it in the freezer except for one bag.    Anyway, today I've tried a few pieces and the strong smoke taste dissipated and it's actually pretty good.    My jerky slicer is a kit from High mountain.   I have a choice of 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch.   The jerky I just made was from pre-sliced meat from the butcher and is a lot thinner.   It now resembles a lot of commercially bought jerky.   I think I will now alter my jerky slicer to it slices thinner, maybe an eight of an inch or maybe 3 sixteenth.

I was wondering about the Hi Mtn kit, from what you experienced I think I'll keep holding out for a deal on a slicer