• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pork Jerky

Started by Iowa chowhound, August 12, 2013, 10:52:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iowa chowhound

Anyone have any info or has made a batch of pork jerky before? Was wondering if you can make it with the same ingredients as the terriyaki beef jerky.

Saber 4

I haven't done it but I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as you have Cure #1 in your marinade, but of course I defer to the jerky experts who will correct me if I'm mistaken.

Sailor

Got to remember that pork has a lot of fat.  In jerky you try to use lean meat as the fat will tend to go rancid and ruin your jerky.  Personally I have never tried to do pork jerky because of the fat content.  If you try it I would like to see a photo of the finished product and know the results of the taste.  Good luck on an adventure.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

pz

Quote from: Sailor on August 12, 2013, 01:22:17 PM
Got to remember that pork has a lot of fat.  In jerky you try to use lean meat as the fat will tend to go rancid and ruin your jerky.  Personally I have never tried to do pork jerky because of the fat content.  If you try it I would like to see a photo of the finished product and know the results of the taste.  Good luck on an adventure.

That's a good point about the fat content.  Although I'm no expert, how about using pork loin (the part that does not have obvious fat)?
My online cookbook: good food & friends

beefmann

havent  tried yet,,,  sounds  like a good  idea

KyNola

Quote from: pz on August 12, 2013, 01:43:43 PM
Quote from: Sailor on August 12, 2013, 01:22:17 PM
That's a good point about the fat content.  Although I'm no expert, how about using pork loin (the part that does not have obvious fat)?
Exactly what I was thinking as I was reading the thread.  Use a pork loin or tenderloin and trim off the visible surface fat.  Thinly slice and season or marinade as normal.

ragweed

Well, that's three of us that were thinking loin.  Sounds interesting.  I for sure will be watching this one.

Saber 4

Quote from: ragweed on August 13, 2013, 03:43:25 PM
Well, that's three of us that were thinking loin.  Sounds interesting.  I for sure will be watching this one.

Make that four of us, I just assumed he was talking loin, my bad

Northern_Smoke

It's funny you would bring up pork jerky as I just made a batch. My original plan was to make OU812's ham sticks but after I had cured my cubed up pork loin I realized that we had a funeral service for my stuffer the last time I made the ham sticks. So I had a bunch of pork cubes that were cured but no way to stuff it. So I just mixed honey and some chili powder in the bowl with the cubes and smoked them untill they were like a jerky nugget. Let me tell you that it is awesome. The texture is much different than beef which was quite pleasant. I will be making this mistake again for sure.

Good luck with your pork jerky.
Bob and Doug Mckenzie encompass all that is Canadian ehh.

Piker

I use pork loinsall the time for jerky. I remove what little fat thereis on them and just continue with whatever sesoning I have on hand. Altho I do it in the dehi. Thks Piker

Iowa chowhound

Thank you for all the info!!!! The pork nuggets really sound awesome and I am hoping this weekend to get into a batch and make them and traditional style jerky and see the outcome.