• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

ox tail

Started by vincero, June 07, 2006, 03:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vincero

Anyone ever heard of pickling and smoking ox tail?

iceman

Heard of brining them and smoking but not pickling. Would that be what your thinking about ???

Habanero Smoker

I love ox tail, but I've only had them stewed. If you smoke them let us know how you did it, and how they came out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

QuoteAnyone ever heard of pickling and smoking ox tail?

Welcome to the forum vincero.

I have smoked ox tail but can I remember for the life of me exactly what I did!? :-[

I do remember getting the butcher to cut the tail into portions a couple of inches wide and putting them in the smoker completely unadulterated. (no brine, marinade, rub etc)

They were done at the same time I was smoking some brisket but obviously took nowhere near as long but I cant remember how long they took, I just wrapped them in foil and put them in the fridge for a day or so when they were done.

They were then used to make a thick smoked oxtail soup with some beef stock and vegetables (onions, carrot, celery, leek)......it turned out very well as a winter warmer on those cold, wet and windy winter days, just eaten with some warm brown crusty bread.

I also seem to remember that the soup was only mildly seasoned with salt and pepper together with a little port so as not to take anything away from the taste of the ox tail, I also know I have used some smoked bacon pieces in one of my previous oxtail soups but this may have been on another occasion.

Sorry I can't be more specific, must remember to try and write things down better!!  ;)
Manxman

vincero

Thanks Iceman.
I make a real good pickled and smoked beef or moose tongue(pickle for 27 days and smoke)
I also make a good braized oxtail, I thought I'd try them another way.
Thanks for the help in replies,

iceman

You're more than welcome vincero for the help. Let us know how the pickled tail comes out. I was thinking about trying some pickled sausages sometime. They have some really good ones at one of the butcher shops I frequent.