guess who doesn't have to carry his smoker in and out anymore

Started by Snoopy, September 12, 2013, 08:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snoopy

<--- this guy

and a better part of the deal. get the boxed tool box home from home depot, pull it out and the back corner is dented in, same corner that was dented on my smoker. well for the smoker they gave me a $40 gift card as I decided to keep it. I called and talked to them, told them this was the second big purchase that's been damaged and they knocked $50 off the $120 toolbox, so in the end, I used my $40 gift card from the smoker and paid$30 for the box out of pocket.

I've seen others with this kind of set up. how did you secure yours to the top? strap was the easiest thing I could think of for now.

pz

My online cookbook: good food & friends

devo

The size of that tie down strap that thing is not going anywhere  ;D

Saber 4

Nice deal and set up you got there, I love getting clearance items at our local Lowes. I don't strap mine down because I may need to shim the front legs to level the cabinet depending on what part of the front porch I'm set up on. You might think about putting a hinged side tray on the cart to give you something to put things on that you are getting ready to put in the smoker, RV shops have a locking support system that is pretty cheap. Or maybe you could turn the top drawer into a slide out tray. I like the folding wings on both of my carts, I'm always putting stuff on them when I'm smoking.

tskeeter

Snoopy, to refine your strap hold down idea, how about using a couple of those turnbuckle tensioners like you used to see on the old wood screen doors?  Just add an attachment point to each side of your smoker and use the existing anchor point that you've got on the plywood top you've added to your cart.  Smaller, less obtrusive, equally effective.  Or, instead of a turnbuckle, use some of that double faced Velcro, with the hook on one side of the strip and the loop on the other side of the strip.  Velcro probably wouldn't be quite a stable as a turnbuckle, but the smoker is reasonably light, so it should be more than adequate.

By the way, I like the idea of drawers.  Wish I had some on my smoker stand so I could store things I want to keep clean and out of the way.  Stuff like frog mats, extra smoker trays, a couple of hot pads.

Ditto to Saber's suggestion to make a pull out tray or a flip up shelf.  The flip down shelf I added to my smoker house right next to the smoker stand was one of my better ideas.  I'm always using it to set down a tray of food going into or coming out of the smoker, so I'm not juggling a heavy tray of expensive meat in one hand and trying to open the smoker door with the other.  My shelf sits off to the left (SG) side of the smoker so it isn't in the path of the door opening and closing and so I don't have to work around an open door to get things in and out of the smoker.

If you're going to add folding wings to your cart, you might consider how heavy the cart is.  Don't want a heavy piece of meat on a wing shelf to tip the cart over.  A bit of sand or scrap steel tucked under the bottom drawer would help stabilize a lightly loaded cart.

Snoopy

i was planning on turning a drawer into a shelf, but not the top one because of the door. the drawers are rated at 50#'s i think, so was gonna do a hinged shelf on the second drawer down that way i can still store stuff in there.

STLstyle

Pretty slick setup.  I'm a big fan of the straps.  Meal on wheels...
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

Saber 4

Quote from: Snoopy on September 13, 2013, 03:10:31 PM
i was planning on turning a drawer into a shelf, but not the top one because of the door. the drawers are rated at 50#'s i think, so was gonna do a hinged shelf on the second drawer down that way i can still store stuff in there.

That's a good idea to avoid the top drawer, I think you would be safe putting  a hinged shelf on the left side at the top of the cart. It doesn't need to be more than about 18-20" wide so it shouldn't tip over or keep you from getting into your storage drawers during a cook when it's hinged up. Of course you could also do a shelf on each side like my wooden kitchen cart has and have plenty of space to work during a cook. It would probably be easier to secure on the side than the front of a drawer.

ragweed

Very nice, Snoopy.  I had to look twice at the first pic though.  Looks like my truck, looks like my garage, looks like my neighborhood!  Then I realized I only have a four rack and my cart only has three drawers. 

Snoopy

Lol rag. Saber, I wasn't gonna hinge it off the front of the drawer, was gonna have it inside the drawer and be able to lift it up to get to the contents underneath.

Saber 4

Quote from: Snoopy on September 14, 2013, 12:40:18 AM
Lol rag. Saber, I wasn't gonna hinge it off the front of the drawer, was gonna have it inside the drawer and be able to lift it up to get to the contents underneath.

That ought to work good for you now that my thick skull has wrapped itself around your plan. :D