• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Venison for a beginner.

Started by Fireman, September 19, 2004, 12:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fireman

Can anybody point me to some easy smoking recipes? Theres plenty of sausage recipes but can I smoke a boned shoulder of venison? Needs to be simple as this is my first attempt at smoking meat. I've hot smoked few salmon and trout and loved the results, so I'd like to try smoking some meat.  Does it need to be cold smoked or can it be hot smoked?
Take it easy on me [:D].
Dave.

BigSmoker

Fireman,
As deer season opened here in the south(thats using a bow and south meaning Georgia) I feel sure lots of people will be smokin' venison.  I'm not a hunter but have several friends who are and I almost always end up with something to smoke.  I have had success with venison roasts wrapped(the fat from the bacon keeps the roast moist) with bacon using maple or pecan wood for the smoke.  I basically treat like a beef roast sea salt, black pepper, garlic and usually some rosemary.  Put on middle shelf of smoker at 225f and smoke 4 hrs.(if using hickory 4hrs of smoke may be to much) continue cooking until roast is just about falling apart probally another hour or so.  If you don't want to use bacon you can cover the roast with yellow mustard(I do this after the rub) to retain moisture or smoke and then foil with some veggies and finish in oven.  I bet you could even inject a nice marinade in the roast to keep it moist although I haven't done this.  Good luck and let us know the results.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

asa

Picking up a thread that is over a year and a half old, I'd like to reopen the question of how to do venison. Yesterday I was given two hind-quarter venison roasts to experiment with on my new Bradley. I found BigSmoker's post above, and then found another on the web at  http://www.wvtrophyhunters.com/smoked_venison.htm. Anyone here have experience with Ross Wallingford's marinade and technique? Sounds to me like it should be rinsed in a water bath after brining with that 1C of salt/2qts liquid for 3-4 days. Also, I had always thought that lean cuts like this should be blasted (375-450 degrees) and then left to sit while the center warms up. So far I haven't found much in the low-and-slow category for lean game like this. On the other hand, perhaps there is not much else to add to what's already been suggested by those quoted above. Or perhaps a subtle combination of high and low temps (or low then high) would work well. I'd be interested in further thoughts anyone has to share.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

jaeger

Teriyaki Venison Jerky.....
Keep some vacuum packaged in the freezer, whenever you need a snack or are day trippin away from the home, you have some decent snack to take along. Smokehouse Rob has an excellent recipe he may share with you. If you're interested check with him or use one of the High Mountain kits of your choice.