OBS Questions

Started by smokerator, September 21, 2013, 02:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokerator

I've pretty much decided to purchase a new OBS.

Can I get a little feed back on why I should buy an electric smoker rather than a gas smoker.

Or why I should buy a gas smoker rather than an electric smoker.

Any feed back will greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike aka smokerator
Mike aka Smokerator

BS611

beefmann

the  electric can  give you better temp  control with a  good temp controller, continuous  run time  for  long  smokes /  cooks... for the  most  part ,,  set it and forget it typically  we  would have  electricity all the  time and  is cheaper then  propane

the propane can  run  out of  fuel half way  through a   smoke /  cook...  needs to be  monitored a a bit closer  for flair ups... and running  out of   gas.. propane costs more then electricity...  when  i done a  cost comparison for a  friend  recently  ( earlier  this year in calif ) electricity  was about  13 cents per  kwh,,, propane was at $ 3.25 a  gallon.. and weights little over 4  lbs a gallon... so it  would cost about  80 cents an hour to operate let along the cost of the chips to  smoke...

do some more  research on how much fuel the  smoke  consumes and  tale a  look at your   cost per  KWH ... this should help in your decision,.. other then that they  pretty  much operate the same.

good  luck
Beef

smokerator

Thank you very much for the reply.
Mike aka Smokerator

BS611

Saber 4

I can't speak to the propane issue but you will find a great bunch of smokers here with the Bradley's, lot's of help with problems and great recipes to try and when you can make it to a smokeout you will meet the nicest "old" friends you've never met before.

NorthShoreMN

I have both gas and electric.  When I want to cook something ,with smoke included, somewhat fast I use gas. (275 and above) If I want to smoke something either cold or with slow low temps I use the electric. 
I end up using the electric about 10 times more than gas. 
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

Yancey

Greeting from Florida!  I use the BDS for smoking and a large propane grill for roasting and grilling.

pz

Quote from: NorthShoreMN on September 25, 2013, 07:33:25 AM
I have both gas and electric.  When I want to cook something ,with smoke included, somewhat fast I use gas. (275 and above) If I want to smoke something either cold or with slow low temps I use the electric. 
I end up using the electric about 10 times more than gas.

X2

I find that I'm starting to collect outdoor cooking appliances  ;D

Welcome from Idaho  ;)
My online cookbook: good food & friends