Newbie from MO

Started by doz759, September 29, 2013, 03:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doz759

Hi all, Built a smoke house and I know I'm going to have a lot of questions for you all. Found a lot of info on here already to help me with my build. if all goes according to plan going to use it next weekend for some spicy stix. Kind of a contraption but only have a hundred bucks in it so far. It is 3'x4'x6'.

beefmann

nice  size... what are you   using for  smoke? a  smoke generator?  hot plate?  is it  also  heated  or designed for  cold  smoking?

welcome aboard

Saber 4

Welcome and Happy Smoking from Texas

ragweed

Welcome to the forum from Nebraska.

doz759

I made a smoke generator for it out of 4" square tube. Bought an old electric oven and used the bottom oven element and hooked it back up to the oven control and then added the two large burners in the bottom also.  I can control them with the stove controls also. tried it with no thing in the smoker and the two stove top elements will bring it up to 165 degrees when on simmer. the oven element by itself will go down to 140 degrees. Not sure about venting it yet I think I'm going to have to vent it somehow just haven't decided yet the best way. The smoke generator seems to get moisture on the lid a little worried about that. Was thinking of trying to make something to circulate the air inside of the cabinet. Thinking of pulling the air from the top right and put it back into the bottom left with a blower. Nothing very fast I am thinking. All I want to do is make stix and sausage maybe some Lebanon bologna.  Thanks for your assistance. GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!

NorthShoreMN

Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

pz

Welcome!  Looking forward to pics of your creation ;)
My online cookbook: good food & friends

mahto

Welcome from westminster cant wait to see sausage an bologna recipes an design
tu amigo
mahto

TedEbear

Welcome aboard. Where in MO?  I'm in West St. Louis County.

KyNola

You definitely want to vent it or you're going to wind up with an over smoked, creosote tasting product.

beefmann

a vent is  needed... somewhere on top is preferred if  not  on the  back as close to the top as  possable... may  want to  look at the  heater  vent stack and  vent  caps... dont  need   much  height...just  air   flow

doz759

Hi TedEbear ... I'm inbetween lake of the Ozarks and Truman, Cole Camp. I put a 3" inlet in the bottom back right side and a 3" outlet in the top left right out the top. How do you know how much draft to give it so that it does not get the creosote taste. I made dampers for both ends to control airflow. I noticed that creosote smell when I shut it up and tried out the smoke generator before I put the vents in. I thought I should put the vents in because I remember we used to leave the oven open a crack when we made deer sausage in the oven years ago.  Thanks again for everyone's input... will try to load pic's when can.

Yancey