Cold Smoke Ribs

Started by LanduytG, October 03, 2013, 04:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LanduytG

Hi all.

I have done a few batches of baby back ribs and they have all been OK and everyone likes them but me. Oh they are good but not enough smoke flavor for me. I was wondering about cold smoking them. I have searched but have not come up with much about it. I was thinking about doing it like bacon but with them not being cured I'm worried about bacteria forming during the process. Any ideas?

Thanks
Greg

Redneckinthecity

The experts will be along soon, but I would stay away.  You're not using any nitrite to prevent bacterial growth and a cold smoke would almost certainly keep the meat in the danger zone.  My suggestion would be to try a different wood for smoking - if you're using apple now, try switching to something like or pecan.  If that's what you've been using; try adding a puck or 2 of mesquite into the stack.

Saber 4

Quote from: Redneckinthecity on October 03, 2013, 06:47:09 AM
The experts will be along soon, but I would stay away.  You're not using any nitrite to prevent bacterial growth and a cold smoke would almost certainly keep the meat in the danger zone.  My suggestion would be to try a different wood for smoking - if you're using apple now, try switching to something like or pecan.  If that's what you've been using; try adding a puck or 2 of mesquite into the stack.

Agrees with this and I would ask if you have been doing a version of the 3-2-1 type method of cooking ribs, if so you might try doing them without foiling and keep the smoke rolling for 3-4 hours. I do mine by starting bone side down for the first couple of hours to let the bone heat up to help with the cooking process and then as they get closer to done I flip them meat side down until they are almost done, then I flip them bone side down for a few minutes to even things out. So far knock on wood, I haven't had a dry or flavorless rib whether I took them from the package and rubbed them or I marinated in apple juice and soy sauce. I also keep a pan of boiling water or apple juice under them in place of the puck bowl.  This is just what has worked for me, others will have different methods that work well for them, just choose what works best for you and keep trying things until you get the flavor and texture you want.

devo

I would use  mesquite as that is the strongest wood I have found. Its so strong I stay away from it. If you like lots of smoke than try  mesquite and run an extra hour of it and just adjust your other times accordantly. 

Yancey

I prefer hickory for ribs.  I smoke them at 215-225.

devo

Quote from: Yancey on October 03, 2013, 09:45:54 AM
I prefer hickory for ribs.  I smoke them at 215-225.

Yes so do I but that's not what he is asking, he wants more smoke flavour so that's why I suggested a stronger wood for smoking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

LanduytG

Well I'm going to ditch the 3-2-1 method and see what happens. I did smoke 2 chuck roast today with 3 hours of pecan then finished in the oven in my cast iron dutch oven till falling apart. Let cool and sherd, turned out prefect for sandwiches.

Greg

Saber 4

Keep us posted on how it turns out for you and we like pictures