• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Hoosier noob....

Started by squish, September 17, 2013, 04:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squish

Not new to the que, but new to smoking. Just pruchased a Bradley 4 rack digital, and looking forward to learning how to use it. I'm sure I'll be asking tons of questions, and forget to use the search function so be paitent with me.

TedEbear

Welcome aboard.  Here are a few new smoker starter links to help get you rolling.

Our Time Tested and Proven Recipes

Frogmats Non-Stick High Temperature Smoker / Jerky Screen 10" x 13"

Maverick Wireless BBQ Thermometer Set - Maverick ET732

Bradley Smoker Bisquette Saver

Bradley Smoker FAQs

There are more but try those out before getting into things like enclosures for storing your Bradley outdoors, mods to your smoker, etc.  I'm sure someone will be along to help you with those if you're interested.

Any plans for your first smoke?  Pork butts (I think the new name is Boston roast) are easy and forgiving, although they can take a long time to cook.  Take some before/after pics of your efforts and post them if you're so inclined.  People around here like to see pics.

Adding pictures to posts on the Bradley Smoker Forum

ragweed

Welcome to the forum from Nebraska.

devo

Welcome

Ask away, and remember its low and slow cooking.
And as others have said heres a few tips

1) Keep the top vent open. Mine is always wide open but never less than 1/2 open.
2) Make sure the 'V tray' inside the smoker is installed correctly. The V goes down so as fat renders out it will drip into the water bowl below. It may sound obvouis but some have installed it upside down before.
3) Speaking of water bowls.... Empty it after all the used smoke pucks are finished and refill with hot water to catch the grease drippings.
4) Make sure to season the unit before doing the first smoke.
5) Do not allow the meat to contact the back or sides of the smoker. Try to keep it all on the racks.
6) Adding a brick or two to the bottom area around the bowl will retain heat some when you do open the door it can recover faster.
7) As for how often to open the door to look...... If your looking your not cooking. So do it only to rotate racks or check meat temperatures, less is better.

Smokin Sparky

Welcome to the forum from Southwest Idaho.   ;D

Blake
Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.

beefmann

squish

Thanks for all of the warm welcomes.

rveal23

* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

Saber 4

Welcome from Texas, everyone has got you on the right track so happy smoking and most of us love pictures.

Yancey

Greetings from Florida.  Experiment and have fun!

Skishy

Welcome from Eastern Washington!
"Hail to the King, baby!" - Bruce Campbell

2 - 4 rack OBS
1 - Brinkmann Pellet Smoker
1 - Masterbuilt Charcoal smoker

Indy Smoker

Greetings from Indiana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free