• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First Butts

Started by mattmilw, May 29, 2006, 05:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattmilw

I've had my BS for two weeks now, and I'm still getting my feet wet with it. I did my first Butts this weekend, and I am in awe of how they turned out. I smoked them for 4+ hours, then let them slow cook overnight at 195*. When they reached an internal temp of 189*, I FTC'd them for 2.5 hours. They were done to perfection, but I was a bit disappointed that there was not a more pronounced smoke flavor. I was out of hickory pucks, which I'm finding to be my favorite, so I used a combination of adler, apple, and special blend. I think if I had used hickory I would have been more happy with the flavor.

I decided to try something- I placed the pulled pork into 3 aluminum trays, spritzed them with apple juice, and put them back in the smoker. I used 3 maple pucks, set the PID temp to 145*, and let them smoke for an hour. When I took the trays out, the top layer of pork in each tray was a little drier, but with a very nice smokey flavor. It kind of created a mini-bark if you can picture that. The pork below this surface was plenty moist and had great flavor. When all mixed together and vaunted vinegar sauce added, I had something to be proud of. I am my worst critic when it comes to cooking, and I gotta say this came out great ;D

It was pretty wierd going to bed with the BS going, and not having to worry about a thing. With the other smokers I've owned, there is no way that you would consider letting it go unattended overnight.

Thanks for listening!

Matt

MallardWacker

Hay Matt,

QuoteI used a combination of adler, apple, and special blend.

Those woods you used were on the lighter side of things and pork is a pretty pronounced meat, I think you would enjoy Hickory, my two other favorites for pork are Pecan and Maple, with Maple being on the lighter side of things.

QuoteIt was pretty wierd going to bed with the BS going, and not having to worry about a thing. With the other smokers I've owned, there is no way that you would consider letting it go unattended overnight..

You are sooo right...Not quite Ron Popeil but close.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Habanero Smoker

I feel that pull pork tastes better one day or more after it has been pulled.

Before I pull the pork, I remove the bark and set it aside then pull the rest of the butt. Next I finely chop up the bark then mixed that in with the rest of the meat with some vaunted vinegar. Let that sit for a day or two and you will have consistent smoke and spice flavor through out each bite. It takes a little more time, but for me it is worth it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BigSmoker

I like the apple/pecan or apple/hickory or apple/oak combo on the pork butts.  Glad you had a 1st time success.  It only gets better from here on out ;D.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

asa

I agree with the idea of finely chopping the bark as much as possible and mixing it in. There is soooo much flavor there that it needs to be incorporated throughout, no matter how you are preparing it.

Art
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

Bassman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 29, 2006, 06:16:01 PM

I remove the bark and set it aside then pull the rest of the butt. Next I finely chop up the bark then mixed that in with the rest of the meat...

HS Thats a great idea! I'll be doing that from now on. Thanks for the idea! ;D
Jack

Swany777

That sounds like a good experiment...like others, I chop the bark into the pork- it just is perfect that way.

I'll admit, I worry about cooking over night, so far I haven't done so.  I assume it is totally safe, but should I be worried about critters like raccoons or something getting at it?  Maybe the smoke/heat will scare them off?

Hmm...maybe I should be more worried about he neighbors rather than the critters....

Swany

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Swany777 on May 30, 2006, 07:43:45 AM
Hmm...maybe I should be more worried about he neighbors rather than the critters....

Swany
;D ;D ;D ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)