• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

snack stick help

Started by newsmoker22, October 13, 2013, 05:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newsmoker22

Hey guy's looking for some  help i had my Bradley smoker for some time now and love it,but i want to get into doing some sausage and snack sticks, i found a lot of great info here so far but i have a few questions,

what do most of you guys use for snack stick casting, and how do you prep then for filling,soaking etc.

once the castings are stuffed is it best to smoke them that day or do you leave them set over night.

thanks for any help
avid bow hunter, smoke everything i harvest

ragweed

I'm by no means an expert, but I use 19 mm collagen casings, no preparation and smoke/cook right away.  BTW...welcome to the forum from Nebraska.

Indy Smoker

Welcome!
I also use 19mm casings. Use LEM seasonings and used to stuff with a grinder but added a stuffer to my collection and there is no comparison. Smoke and bloom after  you won't be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Indy Smoker

Oh I forgot to add I usually stuff and fridge overnight and smoke the next day. Not sure if this is absolutely necessary but just the way I do things. There are others that smoke after stuffing. I recommend you try each if possible and stick with what you think think works best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

newsmoker22

thanks for the fast reply guys much appreciate it.i have some fresh venison i'm going to do up. one more question what I.T do you bring the snack sticks up and do you ice bath afterwards.

ragweed

I start at 130 F for an hr, no smoke.  Then bump the temp 10 degrees every hr until 170 F.  Three hrs smoke.  Final IT = 152 F, no ice bath.  I let them "bloom" on the counter for a couple hrs, then paper bag in the frig before final packaging the next day.

AK_Smoker

I just bought a stuffer and grinder to make snack sticks as well.  I'm going to be using last year's moose burger that is mixed with 15% pork fat already.  How much more pork butt do you think I should add per 10lbs of burger? 

ragweed

If it was me, I wouldn't add any.  I make my sticks with 90/10 deer/beef suet or 85/15 GB.

Tenpoint5

I have used 17, 19 and 21 mm collagen casings. Stuff and smoke same day. I pull mine at 150 and hang to bloom in the kitchen. Dont add anything to your moose burger the ratio is good. Make sure you rotate ghe racks/sausages so the bottom one don't get done too fast or fat out. Ramp your temps up nice and slow and you will be fine
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

newsmoker22

another question for pepperoni what do you guys use for casings natural hog or collagen thanks