First Hillbilly Bacon

Started by ragweed, October 20, 2013, 01:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragweed

I'm still looking for pork bellies so I decided to try Hillbilly Bacon while I look.  I bought a two pack of P. butts, made pulled pork out of one, and tried bacon with the other.  I followed the recipe by "Phone Guy" from the recipe site.  After curing for 6 1/2 days, painting with warm honey and smoking with hickory to an IT of 140 F, this is what I got.

Here's the top part sliced in half.

Sliced it all up and vac sealed.  (Except for 1 lb for supper  ;) ;))  Yielded 5 x 1 lb, 1 x 0.5 lb plus 6 oz scrap.
Bacon, eggs and hash browns for supper tonight!  Whoo hoo!!

iceman

Good looking bacon! I don't think much ot that would make it to the freezer around our house  ;D

Saber 4

That's some nice hillbilly bacon, I like how it turned out, I've done Canadian and belly bacon may have to do this next time I get some butts

300saum

That sure looks good!  I feel your pain with finding someone with bellies.  I finally had to have a local butcher order it in for me.

beefmann

ragweed

Quote from: Saber 4 on October 20, 2013, 06:04:31 PM
That's some nice hillbilly bacon, I like how it turned out, I've done Canadian and belly bacon may have to do this next time I get some butts

After frying up a pound for supper last night, I'm thinking I don't have to find any pork bellies.  Definitely only buying bacon for wrapping purposes from now on!!!

Saber 4

Quote from: ragweed on October 21, 2013, 05:43:50 AM
Quote from: Saber 4 on October 20, 2013, 06:04:31 PM

After frying up a pound for supper last night, I'm thinking I don't have to find any pork bellies.  Definitely only buying bacon for wrapping purposes from now on!!!

Joe,

Isn't it nice when you can walk past the bacon aisle, sausage aisle, and the bread aisle because you make better.