to brine or not to brine

Started by manfromplaid, October 26, 2013, 09:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromplaid

going for my second time at the smoker  doing some nice bone in pork chops  about 1 in. thick    7lbs  thinking of using jans rub but any suggestions will help  thanks from a new alberta smoker:)

ragweed

Can't go wrong with Jan's rub.  I use it on almost everything, including pork loin roasts.  Just one thought.  Don't cook your chops too long.  I pull the P. loins at 140 F and FTC.  Always nice and moist.  I'd do the same for chops.

Ka Honu

You almost always get good results brining pork, poultry and fish before grilling or smoking.

warmstro

I agree with Ka. Except ribs,  I find they lose that firmness. (Alberta  smoker too)  smoking a ton of stuff before the snow comes.  :-)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

beefmann

manfromplaid

manfromplaid

so i brined in a mixture 1 qt brewed coffee  1/4 cup kosher salt   1/4 cup brown sugar  4 hrs  rinsed well pat dry  sprinkled and rubbed with jans  rub mixture.  smoked for 1 hour apple and 1 more hr just heat. had to close up the vent  to get my heat up  outside below freezing  -2c     IT at 158 deg    found the smoke flavor to be quite strong  overpowered the meat  also had to grill a bit to finish   still good to eat but not the result i was looking for   next time  change it up a bit  see what happens

Habanero Smoker

For pork chops, steaks and other thin cuts I will only use 20 - 40 minutes. Make sure you don't fully close the vent, or smoke and moisture will backup into the generator.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

1/2 hour for chops seems to be about the best for me. Then off to the grill or skillet to finish off.